Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
If you have lots of credit cards from the major US banks, these new offers from Banco Popular might interest you!
Via Travel Codex, Banco Popular has released the Avianca Vuela Card, with a sign-up bonus of 60,000 Avianca miles after using promotion code “AVSPWE” and making a purchase in the first 90 days of opening your account. The annual fee is $149.
You can also apply for the Avianca Vida Card. It comes with a lower sign-up bonus of 20,000 Avianca miles. But the $59 annual fee is lower too! It doesn’t look like you can use a promo code with the Avianca Vida Card to increase the sign-up bonus.
Emily and I don’t earn a commission on these cards, but we’ll always tell you about the best deals we find!
I’ll give you more details about these deals, so you can decide if one of these cards is right for you.
Is the Banco Popular Avianca Vuela a Good Deal?
Banco Popular is now offering 2 new Avianca Airlines credit cards. Let’s take a look!
1. Avianca Vuela Credit Card
The Banco Popular Avianca Vuela comes with a sign-up bonus of 40,000 Avianca miles after you make a purchase within the first 90 days of opening your account. But if you use promotion code “AVSPWE” on your application under “financial information“, you will receive 60,000 Avianca miles!
Note: The landing page does NOT mention the 60,000 mile promotion. So I can’t guarantee you’ll receive the higher bonus.
This card also comes with:
- 3 Avianca miles per $1 spent on Avianca purchases
- 2 Avianca miles per $1 at gas stations and grocery stores
- 1 Avianca mile per $1 on all other purchases
- 15% discount when you buy Avianca miles
- No foreign transaction fees
- $149 annual fee, NOT waived the first year
Another perk of the card is a 50% discount on a round-trip award ticket between the US and Central America or Colombia after spending $12,000 each year. And another 50% discount after spending an additional $12,000.
Note: You can only use the discount with coach award seats.
2. Avianca Vida Credit Card
The benefits of the Avianca Vida Card are not nearly as good as the Avianca Vuela. But the annual fee is much less, too!
You’ll earn 20,000 Avianca miles after you make your first purchase within the first 90 days of opening your account.
- 2 Avianca miles per $1 spent on Avianca purchases
- 1 Avianca mile per $1 spent on everything else
- 15% discount when you buy Avianca miles
- $59 annual fee, NOT waived the first year
Register now to receive the special 60,000 Avianca mile welcome bonus for the Avianca Vuela Card.
Note: If you’re new to miles & points, this is NOT a good card to start out with. That’s because banks like Chase, Citi, and American Express have stricter credit card application rules. So it’s a good idea to apply for their cards first!
- Chase won’t approve you for most cards if you’ve opened 5 or more new cards (except certain business cards) in the past 24 months
- American Express now restricts personal and small business card sign-up bonuses to once, per person, per lifetime
- Citi is restricting folks from earning the sign-up bonus from more than 1 card of the same “brand” within 24 months.
What Can You Do With Avianca Miles?
Link: Avianca Award Chart
Avianca miles are very useful for traveling south of the US. With a sign-up bonus of 60,000 Avianca miles, you’ll have enough Avianca miles to for a round-trip award ticket to Brazil. Or all the way to Chile!
You can use your Avianca miles for flights on Star Alliance partners, like United Airlines and Air Canada. And sometimes it will even cost fewer miles! For example:
- New York to London one-way in Business Class for 63,000 Avianca miles (7,000 miles less than United Airlines charges on partner airlines)
- Toronto to China in First Class one-way for 90,000 Avianca miles (15,000 miles less than Air Canada charges)
Plus, Avianca does not pass along fuel surcharges!
Note: Avianca now allows mixed-cabin awards (when each segment is in a different class of service). So you’ll have more flexibility if you book with Avianca miles!
There is a new card offer from Banco Popular!
You’ll earn 60,000 Avianca miles when you sign-up for their Avianca Vuela Card, use the promotion code “AVSPWE“, and make a purchase within the first 90 days of opening your account. The $149 annual fee is NOT waived the first year.
This is great news for folks who have lots of credit cards from banks like Chase and AMEX. Most of us do not have credit cards issued by Banco Popular.
We don’t earn a commission on this card, but we’re committed to telling you about all the best deals!