Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
Via Points, Miles, and Martinis, folks with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express can earn 5,000 or 10,000 bonus Starwood points after meeting a minimum spending requirement.
This is a targeted offer. You can log-in to your AMEX Starwood personal or small business account to see if you qualify. Depending on the deal, you must register for the bonus by October 31, 2016 (personal card) or December 15, 2016 (small business card).
If you’re targeted AND can meet the spending requirement, it might make sense to shift spending to your AMEX Starwood card(s). Because you can use Starwood points for award stays or transfer to airline partners. Plus, you can now transfer Starwood points to Marriott at a 1:3 ratio!
I’ll explain more about these deals!
AMEX Starwood Point Bonus
Link: Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
Link: Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
1. AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest (Personal) Offer
You can log-in to your AMEX Starwood personal account to see if you’re eligible to earn 5,000 bonus Starwood points after spending $5,000 on purchases by December 31, 2016. If you’re targeted, you’ll need to register for the promotion by October 31, 2016.
With this deal, you’ll essentially earn 2 Starwood points per $1 spent after meeting the spending requirement, instead of the normal 1 Starwood point per $1.
That’s a good deal, because otherwise, the only bonus spending category on this card is for Starwood hotel stays!
2. AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest (Small Business) Offer
You can log-in to your AMEX Starwood small business account to see if you’re targeted to earn:
- 5,000 bonus Starwood points after $5,000 in spending, and
- 10,000 bonus Starwood points after $10,000 in spending
You’ll need to register and meet the spending requirement by December 15, 2016 for the AMEX Starwood small business promotion.
What Can You Do With Starwood Points?
Read my series on the best ways to use Starwood points!
Starwood points are valuable because you can use them for:
- Award stays at amazing hotels all over the world
- Inexpensive stays using Cash + Points
- Transfer to airline partners like American Airlines, British Airways, Emirates, and more
- Transfer to Marriott at a 1:3 ratio
- The 5th night free perk at Starwood Category 3 to 7 hotels
Earning an extra 5,000 Starwood points with the current promotion can get you:
- 2 free weekend nights at a Category 1 Starwood hotel
- 1 free night at a Category 2 Starwood hotel
- 1 free night at a Category 3 Marriott hotel when you transfer points at 1:3 ratio
Is It Worth It?
Maybe. Starwood points are hard to earn, so this is a terrific opportunity if you’re saving for an award.
That said, $5,000 or $10,000 is no small amount! And you could use that spending to instead unlock the bonus on cards with a substantial sign-up bonus and minimum spending requirement, like the Chase Sapphire Reserve or The Enhanced Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN.
As always, evaluate your travel goals and spending habits, and do what makes the most sense for you.
There are targeted offers to earn 5,000 to 10,000 bonus Starwood points after meeting a minimum spending requirement on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express.
Let me know if you’ve been targeted!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 25,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!