Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
I’ll show you which categories earn 5% cash back through the end of 2016. And how you can activate your bonus!
5% Back in Rotating Bonus Categories This Quarter!
1. Chase Freedom
Link: Chase Freedom
Through December 31, 2016, you can earn 5% cash back (5X Chase Ultimate Rewards points) on up to $1,500 in combined spending with the Chase Freedom card at:
- Department stores (including Kohl’s, Macy’s, and Sears)
- Wholesale clubs (BJ’s, Costco, and Sam’s Club)
Just remember to activate these bonus categories by December 14, 2016! And keep in mind, wholesale club purchases of gas and specialty services such as travel, insurance, cell phone, and home improvement do NOT qualify for the bonus.
2. Discover It
Link: Discover It
If you’re a Discover It cardholder, you can earn 5% cash back at Amazon, department stores, and Sam’s Club, on up to $1,500 in spending this quarter. The cash back you earn will be matched after your 12th billing cycle, for a total of 10% cash back, if you’re a new cardmember!
So this is an easy way to get a discount on Christmas shopping, online purchases, and items sold in bulk for when the family comes for a visit. Just be sure to activate your bonus before you start shopping.
3. US Bank Cash+
Link: US Bank Cash+
Link: US Bank Cash+ Categories
With the US Bank Cash + card, you can get 5% cash back on up to $2,000 in 2 categories of your choice AND 2% cash back in 1 category of your choice. But you must select your categories each quarter.
Here’s a look at the some of the categories you can choose from, but check the “Merchant Examples“ for more choices:
- Bookstores – Barnes & Noble, Amazon Kindle Books, and some university bookstores (Note: Some folks say they’ve received 5% back on many Amazon purchases besides books with this category.)
- Car Rental – Avis, Budget, National Car Rental
- Cell Phone – AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
- Charity – American Cancer Society, Kiva, The Salvation Army
- Department Stores – Bloomingdales, JCPenney, Nordstrom Rack
- Electronics Stores – Best Buy, Fry’s Electronics, TigerDirect
- Fast Food – Chipotle, Panera Bread, Starbucks, and Cold Stone Creamery
- Furniture Stores – American Furniture, Ethan Allen, IKEA
- Gyms – 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s Gym, LA Fitness
- Movie Theaters – AMC Theatres, Fandango.com, Regal Cinemas
- Select Clothing Stores – Gap, Banana Republic, J.Crew
- Sporting Good Stores – Big 5 Sporting Goods, REI, Sports Authority
These are great deals with the holidays coming up because you can save in popular categories like department stores, wholesale clubs, and Amazon. Remember, you must activate your bonus or select your bonus categories, depending on which cards you have. Happy shopping!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 25,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!