Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
If you’re an AARP member (anyone of any age can join AARP for $16 per year), you can save up to $400 on paid, round-trip, trans-Atlantic flights from the US on British Airways and certain partner airlines.
Plus, until October 1, 2016, you can get a free AARP membership by spending $15+ at Walgreens.
I’ll remind you of how the discount works and other perks you get with an AARP membership!
British Airways AARP Discount
Link: Join AARP
When you book by December 31, 2016, AARP members can save $65 to $400 on paid, round-trip, trans-Atlantic flights on British Airways (including OpenSkies) from the US. And on British Airways code-share flights operated by American Airlines, Finnair, and Iberia.
Travel dates are through March 31, 2017. To get the discount, you must book through the British Airways AARP discount site. You can save:
- $65 off coach
- $130 off Premium Economy
- $400 off Business Class and First Class
The discount is valid for round-trip tickets originating in the US, and only US residents qualify. One-way tickets and open-jaws aren’t eligible.
This is a very nice discount, especially if you can combine it with a fare sale. Check out my previous posts on how to stack this deal with fare sales (no longer available) to cities like London, Paris, and Tel Aviv!
AARP membership costs $16 per year, but you don’t have to be a senior citizen or retired to join! And until October 1, 2016, you can get a free AARP membership when you spend $15+ on certain products at Walgreens.
Get Additional 10% Off With Chase British Airways Card
Although the terms and conditions of the British Airways AARP discount say it can’t be combined with other offers, in practice you can stack both deals!
To use the 10% British Airways card discount, there are certain conditions:
- Flights must be round-trip
- Flights must be operated by British Airways or OpenSkies
- Use promotion code “CARDOFFERU” to get the discount
- Discount is off the total cost of the fare including taxes, fees, and carrier charges
- Travel in any cabin of service
If you frequently buy paid British Airways tickets, it’s worth considering the Chase British Airways card, because you’ll get the 10% discount, plus earn 3 British Airways Avios points per $1 you spend on British Airways.
And the card currently has a 50,000 British Airways Avios point sign-up bonus when you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. But keep in mind, the bonus has been as high as a total of 100,000 British Airways Avios points after meeting tiered spending requirements.
Other AARP Discounts
Million Mile Secrets team member Jasmin saves 10% off her AT&T wireless bill each month just by being an AARP member.
Here are examples of other discounts you can get:
- Save 15% at restaurants like Bonefish Grill, Carrabbas, Denny’s, and Outback Steakhouse
- Save 5% to 15% on hotel stays at brands like Hilton, Westin, and Best Western
- Save of up to 25% on car rentals from Avis, Budget, and Payless
- Get a free donut at Dunkin’ Donuts when you buy a large or extra large beverage
- Discounts on home insurance, life insurance, and dental insurance
- Save up to 18% on MedjetAssist (medical evacuation insurance) memberships
Check the AARP site for a full list of discounts!
The British Airways AARP discount on flights from the US has been extended to December 31, 2016, for travel through March 31, 2017. Depending on the class of service, AARP members can save $65 to $400 on a round-trip ticket!
Anyone can join AARP for $16 per year. Or until October 1, 2016, you can get a free membership when you spend $15+ on certain Walgreens products.
Remember, you don’t have to be retired or over 50 to join AARP. And you’ll have access to lots of other discounts on restaurants, hotels, car rentals, insurance, and more!
What’s your favorite way to make the most of your AARP membership? Let me know if I’ve missed any good deals!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 25,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!