Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Save money on your year-end shopping, including for Christmas!
If you have the Discover it card, you can now activate your card to earn 5% cash back at department stores, Sam’s Club, & Amazon from October 1, 2016, to December 31, 2016!
You can earn up to $75 cash back each quarter on bonus categories with your Discover it card (and more if you’re a new cardholder!).
I’ll share the details.
Earn 5% Back at Department Stores, Sam’s Club, & Amazon
Link: Discover It
You’ll receive 5% back at department stores, Sam’s Club, and Amazon, up to $1,500 in purchases from October 1, 2016, through December 31, 2016. That’s up to $75 cash back!
Visit Discover’s Cashback Calendar, sign-in to your Discover account, and click “Activate Now.” Simple as that!
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Offer is available between October 1, 2016, to December 31, 2016
- Nearly all Amazon purchases will qualify, including Amazon Prime subscriptions, and items sold by third-party merchants
- Department Stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department
- Sam’s Club purchases made in-store and online qualify
- Gas purchases are not eligible
- Mobile forms of payment (tap-and-pay, virtual wallets, etc.) may not be eligible
Also keep in mind you must activate the bonus before you shop. Because the rewards will NOT apply retroactively. Because it only takes a second to activate, I recommend doing it now so you won’t forget later.
I hate shopping at department stores, but I’m sure others will get big savings from this category!
New Cardmembers Get Twice the Rewards!
Discover It currently has a $50 sign-up bonus after your first purchase within the first 3 months of opening your account.
So you can effectively earn 10% cash back on these rotating bonus categories.
If you already have the card, you’re eligible to get a second card if you’ve had the first card at least 1 year.
Consider Chase Freedom, Too
Link: Chase Freedom
Remember, the Chase Freedom also comes with rotating quarterly bonus categories that earn 5 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 spent, on up to $1,500 in the combined categories.
When you have other cards like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Sapphire Preferred, or Chase Ink Plus, you can transfer the points to partners like United Airlines and Hyatt to get much more than 1 cent per point.
And, Chase has tightened their approval rules, so it’s best to get Chase cards before those from other banks.
Chase hasn’t released their bonus categories for next quarter yet, but I’ll keep you posted when I find out!
Neither card has an annual fee. So if you make the most of the bonus categories, you’ll have an easy way to save on your everyday purchases throughout the year.
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!