Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Million Mile Secrets Reader Joe tweeted:
Does the authorized user on a World Elite MasterCard enjoy the car rental agency status upgrade for Avis and Sixt? Thanks!
Good question, Joe!
Unfortunately, authorized users will NOT get elite status with these participating rental car companies.
I’ll tell you about each participating elite status program, as well as how to qualify.
Free and Easy Elite Status With These 3 Rental Car Agencies!
You can get great travel benefits if you’re the primary cardholder of a World Elite MasterCard, like:
- Discounts and upgrades on select airlines
- Personal travel advisor
- Access the Luxury Hotels & Resorts portfolio, with perks like complimentary breakfast for two daily
Another terrific perk is complimentary elite status with participating rental car agencies!
Avis Preferred Plus
- Complimentary upgrades (when available)
- Special Avis Preferred Plus number for reservations and customer support
- Exclusive monthly email offers
- Eligibility to earn Avis Preferred Points. Receive 25%-50% more points for every qualifying dollar you spend
National Emerald Club Executive
As a cardholder of a World Elite MasterCard, you can receive up to 25% savings on rentals at National Car Rental, as well as a complimentary 1-year Emerald Club Executive Service membership (NOT Executive Elite).
Emerald Club Executive membership comes with:
- Ability to choose any car (Full-size and above) in the Executive Area for the same price as the Midsize rate
- Earn 1 rental credit for every qualified car rental. Receive 1 free rental day after earning 6 credits
- Guaranteed free upgrade when you reserve using the Midsize rate
World Elite MasterCard members can enroll with Sixt to receive a Platinum Sixt card, which comes with benefits like:
- Up to a 15% savings on Sixt rent a car / rent a truck with a complimentary Platinum Sixt Card, (otherwise available after renting 10+ times per year)
- Preferred reservation priority and the convenience of special counters/parking lots at select airports/stations
- Complimentary upgrade to the next higher car group at locations worldwide (subject to availability)
- Complimentary 92 miles additional mileage for Sixt luxury cars
- Complimentary car seat upon request, based on availability at location the day of rental pickup
Is It a Good Deal?
If you like the idea of priority service and free upgrades, this is a great deal! But the savings MasterCard Travel Services boasts about are probably less impressive than they sound.
That’s because there are LOTS of ways to get big discounts on car rentals, including websites like Hotwire, and booking through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. Or book with AutoSlash, a free service that tracks your car rental reservations for price drops, and re-books you if they find a lower price!
How to Qualify
I couldn’t find a conclusive answer for whether or not authorized users on a World Elite MasterCard are eligible for this benefit while reading each rental car’s Terms and Conditions (or even MasterCard’s, for that matter!)
But after speaking with multiple MasterCard travel agents, ONLY the primary cardholder can receive elite benefits. And the primary holder can NOT book a reservation for someone else to pass along the perks.
Here is a list of World Elite MasterCard credit cards that will get you on your way to rental car elite status:
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard
- JetBlue Plus Card from Barclaycard
- Citi Prestige
- Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
- Barclaycard Hawaiian Airlines World Elite MasterCard
- Bank of America Virgin Atlantic
Note: You also qualify for elite status with Avis and National if you hold The Platinum Card® from American Express.
Even if you don’t have a World Elite MasterCard, you can still benefit from signing-up for car rental loyalty programs! You can earn free rentals, reduce your waiting time, even earn airline miles!
And be sure to check out the rest of my series on how to find cheap car rentals!
If you are the primary cardholder of a World Elite MasterCard, you are eligible for elite status with participating car rental agencies, like Avis and Sixt!
But authorized users are NOT eligible. And you can NOT book reservations for others in order to share the benefits with others.
Even if you don’t have a World Elite MasterCard, there are still plenty of reasons to sign up for car rental loyalty programs!
Have you taken advantage of the complimentary elite status of your World Elite MasterCard?
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!