Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
The new list of American Airlines reduced mileage award cities is out.
You could save up to 7,500 American Airlines miles on round-trip coach award tickets to certain cities in the US and Canada like Austin, Calgary, New Orleans, and Vancouver.
This deal is good when you book by September 30, 2016, and travel by November 30, 2016.
I’ll explain how this deal works!
What’s the Deal?
American Airlines has released their latest list of reduced mileage awards to certain cities.
You’ll save up to 7,500 American Airlines miles round-trip and 3,750 American Airlines miles one-way with these cards:
- Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard, Red MasterCard, or Business MasterCard (not available for new sign-ups)
- Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite MasterCard
- Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage MasterCard, Visa, or American Express
- CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select MasterCard, or Select Visa and MasterCard
And the following cards get you a 5,000 mile discount on a round-trip award ticket (or 2,500 miles on a one-way award ticket):
- Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Blue MasterCard (not available for new sign-ups)
- Citi Gold AAdvantage American Express, MasterCard, or Visa (not available for new sign-ups)
To get the maximum mileage savings, your flight will need to be more than 500 miles. The mileage savings on shorter flights is less.
With many of the American Airlines cards you need for this offer, you’ll get a 10% rebate when you book award tickets (up to 10,000 miles per year)!
Note: Some of these cards are no longer offered. But existing cardholders can get the discount.
Where Can You Travel at a Discount?
You can check out the full list here. But here are a few fun cities on the list:
- Fort Myers
- Jackson Hole
- Key West
- New Orleans
- San Antonio
Keep in mind the routes change each month, so be sure to check the list of awards to see which months your city qualifies for the discount.
How to Book This Deal
You can NOT get the mileage discount by booking online.
To book, you’ll need to:
- Be a primary cardholder for any of the American Airlines cards mentioned earlier
- Search for low-level awards by logging into your American Airlines account
- Call American Airlines at 800-882-8880 to book your flight by September 30, 2016 and travel by November 30, 2016. You will NOT get the discount if you book online.
Note: Unless you have elite status with American Airlines, a $75 fee will be charged for award tickets booked less than 21 days before departure.
Using British Airways Avios Points Might Get You a Better Deal
If you’re booking a short-haul flight (less than 1,151 miles), you can save by using British Airways Avios points.
Because you’ll only pay 7,500 British Airways Avios points each way or 15,000 British Airways Avios points round-trip on partners American Airlines and Alaska Airlines.
If you’re an American Airlines credit cardholder, you could save up to 7,500 American Airlines miles on low-level American Airlines award tickets to select cities. This deal is good when you book by September 30, 2016, and travel by November 30, 2016.
Search American Airlines to find low-level award flights. Then, call American Airlines at 800-882-8880 to make your reservation without a fee. Or book your flight at the airport, but you’ll be charged a $35 fee ($45 for international flights).
If your flight is less than 1,151 miles, you’ll save more by using British Airways Avios points to book your American Airlines award flight.
Let me know if you book a reduced mileage award flight!