Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Via The Value Traveler, Avianca is launching a new credit card soon. And that means you’ll have a new way to earn Avianca miles to use for award flights to Mexico, South America, the Caribbean, and more!
I’ll share what we know about the new card and why you might consider earning and using Avianca miles.
The New Avianca Credit Card
US Bank used to issue the Avianca card, but they’re converting all existing Avianca cards to FlexPerks cards. And Avianca will be launching a new credit card!
We don’t yet know all the details of the new Avianca card, like which bank will issue it or what the sign-up bonus will be. But I’ll keep you posted!
Here’s what we know so far:
- A sign-up bonus of up to 60,000 Avianca miles when you meet minimum spending requirements
- 3X Avianca miles per $1 you spend on Avianca
- 2X Avianca miles per $1 you spend at gas stations and grocery stores
- 1X Avianca mile per $1 you spend on regular purchases
- Two 50% discounts on award tickets redeemed for travel from the US to Central America or Colombia
- Free checked bag for travel between the US and Central America
- No foreign transaction fees
- 15% discount when you purchase Avianca miles
A 60,000 Avianca miles sign-up bonus would be great! We’ll have to see the actual offer when it comes out!
What Can You Do With Avianca Miles?
Link: Avianca Award Calculator
Link: Avianca Airline Partners
And I’ve written about booking United Airlines award flights with Avianca miles.
The other great thing about using Avianca miles for award flights on their partner airlines, is they do NOT add fuel surcharges! That can add hundreds of dollars to an award ticket.
35,000 Avianca miles is enough for a round-trip coach award flight from the US (excluding Hawaii) and Canada to anywhere in the Caribbean, Mexico, US, Canada, and Alaska.
And with 40,000 Avianca miles, you can fly round-trip in coach to popular spots like Cuzco, Bogota, and Quito.
If the new card does indeed offer a bigger sign-up bonus, those miles could be pretty useful!
Have you used Avianca miles before?
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!