Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, Citibank and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: This offer for the Starwood AMEX cards is no longer available but check Hot Deals for the latest offers!
Huge news! Until March 30, 2016, you’ll earn 35,000 Starwood points on both the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express personal and small business cards after completing the minimum spending requirements.
This is the biggest bonus there’s EVER been for these cards!
And there are lots of other excellent ways to use Starwood points.
I’ll explain if you should consider this offer!
What’s the Deal?
Link: Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
Link: Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
In summers past, the bonus on the AMEX Starwood personal and small business cards has been as high as 30,000 Starwood points. That’s 5,000 points more than the usual offer for 25,000 Starwood points.
I explained why 5,000 extra Starwood points is a big deal. So 10,000 extra Starwood points is even better!
Apply before March 30, 2016, to earn the increased bonus on both cards. You’ll get:
- 35,000 Starwood points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the 1st 3 months of opening your account (personal card), OR
- 35,000 Starwood points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the 1st 3 months of opening your account (small business card)
- 2 points per $1 you spend at Starwood hotels (includes Aloft, Design Hotels, Element, Four Points, Le Meridien, Sheraton, St Regis, The Luxury Collection, Tribute Portfolio, Westin and W brand hotels)
- 1 Starwood point per $1 you spend on everything else
- Unlimited use of Boingo Wi-Fi hotspots (excluding in-flight)
- For small business cardholders, access to Sheraton Club lounges (free breakfast and hors d’oeuvres) for cardholder and 1 guest staying in the same room (3rd-party bookings are excluded).
- 2 stay credits or 5 night credits toward Starwood Elite Status
- $95 annual fee, waived for the 1st year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Terms & limitations apply
Note: American Express only allows folks to get the sign-up bonus ONCE per person, per lifetime on ALL their cards.
What Can You Do With Starwood Points?
Starwood points are very valuable because they’re hard to earn apart from staying at Starwood hotels. And there are lots of great ways to redeem them, including:
- Award stays at amazing hotels all over the world
- Inexpensive hotel stays using the Cash + Points benefit
- Many airline transfer partners like American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, British Airways, Emirates, and more
- The 5th night free perk at Starwood Category 3 to 7 hotels
- 5 nights and 2 airline tickets to Disney World
And if you transfer them to partner airlines, you’ll get a 5,000 mile bonus for every 20,000 points you transfer.
That makes the Starwood small business card worth 50,000 airline miles!
Because with the Starwood small business card, when you meet the minimum spending requirement of $5,000, you’ll earn at least 5,000 Starwood points. That’s in addition to the 35,000 Starwood point sign-up bonus. Then you can turn your 40,000 Starwood points into 50,000 airline miles! (20,000 Starwood points yields 25,000 airline miles X 2)
Of course, you can do this with the personal Starwood card too! Spend $5,000 on the card and the math is the same.
Who Should Sign-Up for This Offer?
If you’ve never received the sign-up bonus on this card, now is an excellent time to apply! That’s because the bonus likely won’t ever be higher than this.
And it’s uncertain if AMEX will continue to issue this card after Starwood’s merger with Marriott.
We don’t yet know what will happen to your Starwood points after the merger is done. So if you want to get a terrific sign-up bonus to lock-in some future Big Travel, I highly recommend this offer to get 35,000 Starwood points!
Through March 30, 2016 (just a few weeks!), you can earn 35,000 Starwood points on both the AMEX personal and small business cards when you sign-up and meet the minimum spending requirements.
I’ve never seen the bonus this high. And it’s likely the last time it will ever be this much. So if you’ve never had either card, right now is a fantastic time to apply.
Will this new offer tempt you to get an AMEX Starwood card?