Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Via SecretFlying, you can fly round-trip from several West Coast cities to Australia (via Honolulu) starting at ~$500 round-trip in coach!
This deal will NOT last. So book quickly!
This is likely a mistake fare! So do NOT book non-refundable hotels or activities until you’re sure the airline will honor the fare.
I’ll show you how to get the deal!
Fly to Australia for Cheap!
SecretFlying reports you can fly to Brisbane, Melbourne, or Sydney from several US cities starting at $426 round-trip in coach on Hawaiian Airlines and Virgin Australia.
I searched a few dates and routes and the cheapest flight I could find was ~$505 round-trip. But you may have better luck!
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
Dates are limited for travel from September to November, 2016. Check the SecretFlying post for possible dates!
How to Book It
I searched for these fares on Momondo. Once you click through the site, it takes you to an online travel agency like FareDepot or OneTravel to purchase the ticket.
Double-check that the online travel agency gives you the correct price. This deal is moving fast!
Again, this appears to be an error fare, so you should book this quickly. Low fares don’t last long. Read my post about booking mistake and low fares!
But, do NOT book non-refundable hotel or other travel plans until you receive a confirmation WITH an e-ticket number. And remember: DO NOT call the airline!
Don’t Live Near an Included City? Get There for Cheap!
You can use your miles & points to get to a sale city for almost free!
- Southwest – If you need more Southwest points, Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer to Southwest. Plus, if you have the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend can fly with you for (almost) free!
- British Airways – If you’re a short flight away from 1 of these cities, you can save miles by using British Airways Avios points to book an award flight on American Airlines or Alaska Airlines. Chase Ultimate Rewards points , American Express Membership Rewards points, and Starwood Preferred Guest points transfer to British Airways.
Earn Bonus Points!
Remember to pay with a card that will earn you bonus points for your ticket:
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard – 2.1% back
when you redeem for $100+ travel purchases
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on travel
- Citi ThankYou Premier Card – 3X Citi ThankYou points on travel
Get Free Hotel Nights With These Cards
If you book a cheap flight, remember there are lots of ways to get cheap or free hotel rooms with points from credit card bonuses and spending!
I stayed at the Park Hyatt Sydney when I surprised my mom in Australia for her birthday!
Remember, you can transfer flexible points like Chase Ultimate Rewards or American Express Membership Rewards to different hotel programs.
Note: Folks who want to book paid stays could check out discount sites like Orbitz, Expedia, or TravelPony for deals. But remember you won’t get stay credits or points (and might not have your elite status recognized).
Airbnb is another affordable option, especially for longer stays. Or if you like a more local feel. Consider mixing-and-matching your award stays with paid stays (including Airbnb) to stretch your vacation!
Act fast! SecretFlying reports some very cheap fares from the West Coast to Australia (via Honolulu) starting at ~$500 round-trip in coach. Flights are on Hawaiian Airlines and Virgin Australia.
Travel dates are limited and this may be an error fare. So do NOT book non-refundable hotels and activities until you have a confirmation and e-ticket number!
Search for these deals on Momondo. I found several routes in the low $500 range. But this deal is moving quickly, so book soon!
Let me know if you book a trip! Good luck!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!