Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Baby, it’s cold outside! But here’s a chance to get away to warmer weather in San Juan, Puerto Rico for cheap!
Other cities on the East Coast are also on sale, so check your airport to see if you can get in on the deal!
How to Book It
Link: ITA Matrix
Link: Google Flights
Here’s how to use Google Flights to find sale dates.
If you book a ticket with an online travel agency like Orbitz or Expedia, you may be eligible for a refund within a short time of booking your ticket. Check out my post on cancellation policies for airlines and online travel agencies for more details!
Note: You can cancel a Delta booking by midnight the day after you bought your ticket or within 24 hours of booking with JetBlue and get a full refund.
What’s the Deal?
Link: The Flight Deal
Fly round-trip from these cities (but check your city, there are more!) on Delta or JetBlue to San Juan, Puerto Rico starting at:
- Baltimore – ~$240 (Southwest)
- Boston – ~$272 (JetBlue)
- Chicago – ~$288 (JetBlue)
- Hartford – ~$289 (JetBlue)
- New York (JFK) – ~$216 (Delta)
- Toronto – ~$260 (Delta)
- Washington, DC (IAD or DCA) – ~$249 (Delta)
Purchase your tickets at least 7 days prior to departure. Travel dates are through early February 2016.
You could spend your vacation in San Juan relaxing on the beach. Or visit the historic fort, wander around Old San Juan, and check out the Bacardi Rum distillery!
What If You’re Not in an Included City?
You can cheaply get to 1 of the cities included in the sale by using points (like British Airways Avios points) to get there.
British Airways Avios points are great for short-haul flights. Because it only costs 4,500 British Airways Avios points 1-way in coach for flights less than 650 miles (until February 3, 2016), and 7,500 British Airways Avios points for flights up to 1,149 miles.
Folks with the Southwest Companion Pass could fly to these cities very cheaply. That’s because with the Companion Pass, your companion flies with you for almost free on both paid and award tickets.
Or you could try to find a cheap paid ticket from your home airport to 1 of the sale cities. But do the math to see if it makes sense!
Which Card to Use?
Remember to pay with a card that will earn you bonus points for your ticket:
- Premier Rewards Gold Card From American Express – 3X American Express Membership Rewards points when booking directly with airlines
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN – 3X American Express Membership Rewards points for booking directly with airlines when you choose this as your 3X category (otherwise 2X points)
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus – 2.1% back
when you redeem for $100+ travel purchases
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on travel
- Citi Prestige – 3X Citi ThankYou points on airfare
- Citi ThankYou Premier – 3X Citi ThankYou points on travel
Get Free Hotel Nights With These Cards
If you book a cheap flight, remember there are lots of ways to get cheap or free hotel rooms with points from credit card bonuses and spending!
Check out my post on where to stay using points in the Caribbean (including Puerto Rico).
If you’re booking a paid stay, check out discount sites like Orbitz, Expedia, or TravelPony for deals. But remember you won’t get stay credits or points (and might not have your elite status recognized).
There are lots of great deals today from East Coast cities to San Juan, Puerto Rico starting at just ~$216 round-trip in coach! Flights are on Delta, JetBlue, and Southwest, depending on the city.
I found seats for under $300 from Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Hartford, New York, Toronto, and Washington, DC. But check your city, because it might be on sale, too!
Book at least 7 days prior to departure for travel through early February, 2016.
Let me know if you plan a trip!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!