Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Need some surf and sand this winter?
Deals to Hawaii usually go quickly, so book soon if you’re interested!
How to Book It
Link: ITA Matrix
Link: Google Flights
Here’s how to use Google Flights to find sale dates.
If you book a ticket with an online travel agency like Orbitz or Expedia, you may be eligible for a refund within a short time of booking your ticket. Check out my post on cancellation policies for airlines and online travel agencies for more details!
Visit Hawaii This Winter!
- New York (EWR and JFK)
- Washington, DC
And you can fly to:
- Honolulu (Oahu)
- Kahului (Maui)
- Kona (Hawaii)
I found flights from New York (EWR) to Maui later this month for $499! Emily and I had a great time when we visited there for Spring Break!
These fares are valid through mid-March, and the price depends on the route. Folks in New York get the lowest price, and it’s ~$30 to ~$60 more from other cities (which is still a good deal).
You must depart Sunday through Wednesday, and return from Hawaii Monday through Thursday. Be sure to purchase your ticket 1 day in advance. And keep in mind available seats are limited.
You can credit your flights to Delta, or several other partner airlines, to earn miles!
Remember, folks with the Bank of America Alaska Airlines card can take someone with them for $99 plus tax with their annual Companion Fare certificate! And they’ll get a free checked bag for themselves and up to 6 passengers on the same reservation.
What If You’re Not in 1 of These Cities?
Southwest – If you need more Southwest points, Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer to Southwest. Plus, if you have the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend can fly with you for (almost) free!
British Airways – If you’re a short flight away from an included city, you can save miles by using British Airways Avios points to book an award flight on American Airlines.
Pay With the Right Card!
Remember to pay with a card that will earn you bonus points:
- Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Card – 3X Alaska Airlines miles on Alaska Airlines flights
- Premier Rewards Gold Card From American Express – 3X American Express Membership Rewards points when booking directly with airlines
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN – 3X American Express Membership Rewards points for booking directly with airlines when you choose this as your 3X category (otherwise 2X points)
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard – 2.1% back
when you redeem for $100+ travel purchases
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on travel
- Citi Prestige – 3X Citi ThankYou points on airfare
- Citi ThankYou Premier – 3X Citi ThankYou points on travel
Get Free Hotel Nights With These Cards
If you book a cheap flight, remember there are lots of ways to get cheap or free hotel rooms with points from credit card bonuses and spending!
Remember, you can transfer flexible points like Chase Ultimate Rewards or American Express Membership Rewards to different hotel programs.
Note: Folks who want to book paid stays could check out discount sites like Orbitz, Expedia, or TravelPony for deals. But remember you won’t get stay credits or points (and might not have your elite status recognized).
Airbnb is a great way to save money on accommodations, especially for longer visits, or if you prefer a more local feel. There are lots of places available on every Hawaiian island!
Read my tips on how to negotiate a better price on Airbnb!
Tickets are available through mid-March, and require a 1-day advance purchase. The final price depends on the route, but folks flying from New York (EWR or JFK) get the best deal.
These flights will sell out fast, so book soon if you want to go!
Let me know if you plan a trip, and which island(s) you’ll visit!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!