Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
United Airlines has great deals to Hawaii!
The Flight Deal reports you can fly to Kona, Hawaii, from several US cities starting at ~$491 round-trip in coach!
This deal won’t last long, so book soon if you’re interested!
How To Book It
Link: ITA Matrix
Link: Google Flights
I found these fares using Google Flights and was able to book them on the United Airlines website.
Note: You can cancel a United Airlines reservation within 24 hours of booking and get a full refund.
Fly to Kona, Hawaii
- St. Louis
Travel until early December 2015 or January through June 2016. I found lots of open dates, and ~$500 to Hawaii round-trip is a good deal!
Fares are limited and you must purchase your ticket at least 21 days in advance.
What If You’re Not in an Included City?
You can get to 1 of these cities by using British Airways Avios points to get there.
British Airways Avios points are great for short-haul flights. Because it only costs 4,500 British Airways Avios points 1-way in coach for flights less than 650 miles (until February 3, 2016), and 7,500 British Airways Avios points for flights up to 1,149 miles.
Or if you have the Southwest Companion Pass, you could fly to these cities very cheaply. That’s because with the Companion Pass, your companion flies with you for almost free on both paid and award tickets.
Or you could try to find a cheap paid ticket from your home airport to 1 of the sale cities. But do the math to see what makes sense to you!
Which Card to Use?
Remember to use a card that will earn you bonus points:
- AMEX Premier Rewards Gold – 3X American Express Membership Rewards points when booking directly with airlines
- The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN – 3X American Express Membership Rewards points for booking directly with airlines when you choose this as your 3X category (otherwise 2X points)
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus – 2.1% back
when you redeem for $100+ travel purchases
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on travel
- Citi Prestige – 3X Citi ThankYou points on airfare
- Citi ThankYou Premier – 3X Citi ThankYou points on travel
Get Free Hotel Nights With These Cards
If you book a cheap flight, remember there are lots of ways to get cheap or free hotel rooms with points from credit card bonuses and spending!
Remember, you can transfer flexible points like Chase Ultimate Rewards or American Express Membership Rewards to different hotel programs.
Note: Folks who want to book paid stays could check out discount sites like Orbitz, Expedia, or TravelPony for deals. But remember you won’t get stay credits or points (and might not have your elite status recognized!).
And Airbnb is a great way to save money on accommodations, especially for longer stays. Here are some tips on how to negotiate a better Airbnb price, and how to find a safe and comfortable Airbnb.
Be sure to purchase your ticket 21 days and advance and keep in mind available seats are limited.
With this deal, you can purchase tickets well into 2016, so this is perfect for a break before the holiday season, a mid-winter getaway, or a trip over Spring Break.
Let me know if you book a ticket!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!