Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
WOW Air is at it again!
You can fly from Boston or Washington, DC (Baltimore), to Reykjavik, Iceland, for only $99 1-way!
Flights returning to the US are more expensive. But this is still an excellent deal for European travel this winter!
Let’s look at where the best deals are!
What’s the Deal?
Link: WOW Air
Link: My Review of WOW Air
Link: My Iceland Trip Report
WOW Air is a budget airline based in Iceland. They’re not fancy, but their service is excellent and their planes are clean and new. And now, there’s another great sale!
You can fly from Boston and Washington, DC (Baltimore) to Reykjavik, Iceland, from $99 1-way. Return flights start at ~$171, which is still a great deal!
Travel dates for Boston are available through mid-December 2015. And if you depart from Washington, DC (Baltimore), the $99 fares are available through the end of January 2016.
Flights to other European destinations, like Amsterdam, Berlin, and London, are also on sale starting at $149 1-way.
Return flights are more expensive. And keep in mind, WOW Air charges fees for seat selection, large carry-on bags, and checked bags. So this is only a good deal if you can pack light.
Check out my Iceland trip report! And see how I discovered that Icelanders are some of the nicest people in the world.
Pay With the Right Credit Card!
Link: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Link: Chase Ink Plus
Link: Citi ThankYou Premier
Link: Citi Prestige
Don’t forget to pay with a card that earns bonus points for travel or airfare purchased directly from airlines:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 you spend on travel
- Premier Rewards Gold Card From American Express – 3X AMEX Membership Rewards points per $1 you spend on airfare purchased directly from airlines, although I’ve found you almost always get the points even if you book through a 3rd party site like Orbitz!
- Barclaycard Arrival Plus – get 2.1% back when you redeem miles for $100+ travel purchases, including airfare
- Citi Prestige – 3X Citi ThankYou points per $1 you spend on airfare
- Citi ThankYou Premier – 3X Citi ThankYou points per $1 you spend on travel
What About Hotels?
There are few chain hotels in Iceland. Only Best Western, Club Carlson, and Hilton have hotels in Reykjavik (although there are lots of independent hotels). It’s worth checking if you can find a hotel room available with the 4th night free perk if you have the Citi Prestige card.
Note: If you’re booking a paid stay, check out discount sites like Orbitz, Expedia, or TravelPony for deals. But you won’t get stay credits or points (and might not have your elite status recognized).
Or if you’re feeling adventurous or want a more local experience, Airbnb is a great way to save money, especially for longer stays. Here are my tips for getting a better price on Airbnb! And how to choose a good (and safe) Airbnb.
With the WOW Air fare sale, you can fly from Boston and Washington, DC (Baltimore), to Reykjavik, Iceland, for $99 1-way.
Return flights are more expensive (starting at ~$171), but can still be an excellent deal. Or consider booking your flight home with miles & points instead!
You might even decide to fly into mainland Europe to keep exploring, although folks in Iceland are so kind you may want to stay! 🙂
These fares won’t last long, so book soon if you’re interested. Let me know if you book a ticket!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!