Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: One or more card offers in this post are no longer available. Check our Hot Deals for the latest offers.
There’s a better offer on The Blue for Business® Credit Card from American Express. For a limited time, you can earn up to 20,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points, which is double the usual sign-up bonus!
I’ll explain the details of the offer. And help you decide if you should sign-up!
About the AMEX Blue Small Business Card
There’s a new limited-time sign-up bonus on The Blue for Business® Credit Card from American Express.
You can earn a total of 20,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points. Here’s how it works:
- You’ll earn 10,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after making your 1st purchase on the card within your 1st 3 months of account opening
- Then, you’ll earn an additional 10,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 on purchases within the 1st 6 months of opening your account
You’ll also get:
- 30% annual points bonus each anniversary year of having your card
- 1X AMEX Membership Rewards point per $1 spent on purchases
- 2X AMEX Membership Rewards points per $1 spent on eligible purchases made when you book on the American Express Travel website
- NO annual fee
- Terms and Limitations Apply
You can use your points:
- To book hotel stays and flights
- For gift cards
- For statement credits
- To pay for merchandise at Amazon
- For taxi rides
- And many other options!
Keep in mind you can NOT transfer AMEX Membership Rewards points earned with this card to airline and hotel partners. But you can use them for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
Because this card has a ~3% foreign transaction fee, it’s not a good card to travel with internationally.
Should You Get This Card?
- Extended warranty up to 1 year on certain items
- Purchase protection against theft and breakage for 90 days
It’s easy to dispute unfair charges on your card, too.
These customer-friendly benefits can help you when you really need it!
Keep in mind you don’t need lots of revenue or employees to qualify for a small business card. As long as you’re looking to a make a profit, you can apply. And, if you don’t have an EIN (Employer Identification Number), you can apply with your Social Security Number instead if you’re a sole proprietor.
You’ll earn 1X AMEX Membership Rewards point per $1 spent on purchases, and receive a 30% point bonus each cardmember anniversary year.
So, if you spend $1,000, you’ll earn 1,300 AMEX Membership Rewards points (1X AMEX Membership Rewards point per $1 spent + 300 bonus points). But, if you want an AMEX small business card, there are a couple of other options that may suit you better – and earn more points.
1. AMEX SimplyCash
Other benefits include:
- 5% cash back at US office supply stores and US wireless service
- 3% cash back in 1 category of your choice out of 7 categories (including airfare, US restaurants, and US gas stations)
- NO Annual Fee
- Terms & Limitations Apply
What’s great about AMEX SimplyCash is you can earn 5% cash back at US office supply stores. And office supply stores carry gift cards to lots of other retailers like:
- AMC Theaters
- Whole Foods
Plus, there’s NO annual fee and the sign-up bonus is higher than the AMEX Blue small business card (for cash redemptions). And, the bonus categories earn more cash back.
For example, if you spend $1,000 at an office supply store, you’d earn $50 in cash back. Compare that with the AMEX Blue small business card, where you’d earn 1,300 AMEX Membership Rewards points, which you can redeem for $13 in statement credit.
2. The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN
The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN earns AMEX Membership Rewards points, which you can use for airfare, hotels, and gift cards.
You’ll earn 3X AMEX Membership Rewards points on 1 of these 5 bonus categories of your choice:
- Airfare purchased directly from airlines
- Advertising in select media such as Google ads
- US gas stations
- Hardware, software, and cloud computing purchases made directly from select providers
You’ll 2X AMEX Membership Rewards points per $1 spent in the other 4 categories, and 1X AMEX Membership Rewards point on other purchases. There’s a $175 annual fee on the card, waived for the 1st year.
And, if you purchase airfare, or spend a lot in the other bonus categories, you’ll earn more points per $1 spent.
This card is a better choice if you want to redeem your points for travel, because AMEX Membership Rewards points transfer to lots of airline and hotel partners, like Air Canada, Delta, Hilton, and many others!
The AMEX Blue small business card is a good card to add to your wallet if you want an additional small business card that earns AMEX Membership Rewards points with NO extra annual fees.
AMEX SimplyCash only earns cash back, so which 1 you choose depends on where you buy most of your business supplies, and how you like to redeem your points.
Excellent Business Cards for Different Types of Businesses
Here are a few posts that can help you decide, if you have a particular business or interest:
- Best Small Business Credit Cards for Dentists, Real Estate Agents, & More
- Best Small Business Credit Cards for Freelancers: Graphic Designers, Web Designers, Writers, Fiverr, & More
- Best Small Business Credit Cards for eBay & Amazon Sellers
- Best Business Credit Cards for Travel
Perks of AMEX Small Business Cards
With AMEX small business cards, you’ll also receive special discounts from the AMEX OPEN small business program such as discounts on shipping with FedEx, HP computers, or flowers for your office from 1-800-Flowers!
There are often terrific AMEX Offers, and you can sign-up for them with AMEX small business cards. Recently, there have been discounts for Best Buy, HP online, and Boxed.com for buying supplies in bulk. And you can get the same offer on multiple cards!
And you get complimentary membership in ShopRunner by having an AMEX card. You’ll get free shipping from dozens of online merchants, so this is a great perk for online shopping!
Keep in mind you can earn the sign-up bonus on AMEX small business cards as long as it’s been 12 months since you last had the card. And, it’s usually not possible to get more than 1 AMEX card in a day.
For a limited time, you can earn a total of 20,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points when you open The Blue for Business® Credit Card from American Express.
You’ll earn 10,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after your 1st purchase, and an additional 10,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 on purchases within the 1st 6 months of opening your account.
The AMEX Membership Rewards points earned from this card will NOT transfer to hotel and airline partners unless you have another AMEX Membership Rewards-earning card that can transfer, like The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN.
AMEX has other small business cards that may be a better choice because of higher sign-up bonuses and stronger bonus categories, like AMEX SimplyCash or The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN.
As always, choose the 1 that’s best for you!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!