Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Most folks get into our hobby to earn miles & points for Big Travel with Small Money. But there are also ways to save money and have once-in-a-lifetime experiences at your destination, thanks to your cards!
Here I’ll show you how to use your cards for exciting sports events such as pennant race baseball, the US Open Tennis Championship, Formula One Grand Prix racing around the world, and golfing events.
I’ll show you how to make the most of these deals!
Easy Discounts on Sporting Events and More!
1. New York – Baseball Tickets
There are lots of ways to save money on your trip to New York City this summer. And you can get discounted tickets to Yankees and Mets games if you have certain credit cards!
Even if you’re not a fan, these are very “New York” things to do. The crowds at both stadiums will likely be energetic because the teams are very good this year.
And Citi cardholders can save up to $10 per ticket for Mets Sunday home games. Plus, cardholders can get a $5 discount on post-game concert tickets.
If you’re visiting New York, this is a good reason to explore beyond Manhattan to cheer for (or against!) the Yankees in the Bronx or the Mets in Queens. Each stadium is easy to reach by subway.
Link: Citi Prestige
And I’ve shown you how to earn 2,500 airline miles by signing-up for Golfmiles with our link. You’ll earn this exclusive bonus when you register (it’s free!) and play a round within 60 days of signing-up.
This deal expires August 15, 2015. But you’ll still earn airline miles every time you book your tee time through Golfmiles.
Link: SPG Moments
Looking for an amazing or unique experience? Use Starwood points to bid on VIP sports tickets and more through SPG Moments!
1. New York – US Open Tennis
There are a number of opportunities for terrific VIP experiences at the US Open tennis tournament in New York City this September.
Available packages include:
- VIP tickets (4) to the 2015 Arthur Ashe Kids’ Day including access to the SPG Luxury Suite, concert access, and meet-and-greet with performers
- Tickets for 2 to a Grey Goose mixology seminar, including seats in the SPG Luxury Suite for evening tennis matches, and free food and beverages
- SPG Luxury Suite seats, food and drink, and behind-the-scenes access to US Open facilities
- Courtside seats for a day, or a courtside seat package which includes breakfast in the players’ dining room
- A VIP package which includes courtside seats, dinner for 2, and a night at the Westin New York at Times Square
These packages are NOT cheap. Some auctions have reached over 100,000 Starwood points!
But if you’re looking for an extraordinary experience for yourself or your favorite tennis fan, this could be an excellent opportunity!
2. Chicago and More – Chicago Cubs Baseball
Does your child love baseball? Here’s a chance to be the Chicago Cubs honorary team manager for the day!
Your child will take the field before the game, pose for photos, and present an honorary lineup card to 1 of the coaches. And 2 tickets to the Cubs versus Atlanta Braves game are included.
The high bid on this package so far is only 5,500 Starwood points!
If you’re in Los Angeles, or traveling there, there’s also an auction for 4 tickets to see the Chicago Cubs play the Los Angeles Dodgers on August 29, 2015.
You’ll also soon have the chance to use Starwood points for Cubs tickets versus the Chicago White Sox. And to see the Cubs play the defending World Champion Giants in San Francisco!
3. Formula One Racing Experiences – Italy, Japan, and Singapore
Do you feel the need for speed? Use your Starwood points for incredible experiences at Formula One Grand Prix races in Italy, Japan, and Singapore!
Here are some of the available packages:
- VIP tickets including lunch, behind-the-scenes access, and gifts at the Formula One Gran Premio d’Italia 2015. Packages are also available for qualifying and practice days
- Exclusive access, VIP seating, meals, and more at the Formula One Singapore Grand Prix 2015 (practice and qualifying days, too)
- Tickets to the VIP hospitality area at the Formula One Japan Grand Prix Practice Day 2015, including food, beverages, team access, and gifts
Sounds like a great reason to take an international trip!
And you can use Starwood points for exclusive tickets to tennis, Formula One racing, and baseball events.
If you know other ways to save money (or use miles and points) at sporting events, please share your experiences in the comments!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!