Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
In the past year, Uber has added partners including AMEX Membership Rewards, Capital One Quicksilver, and Starwood hotels.
So I’ve put together a list of ways you can currently save money on your next Uber ride.
Link: Sign-Up for Uber
Uber is a car service available in 58 countries. You can request a ride from the Uber iPhone or Android app on your mobile device. And on the app you can watch your driver’s progress to your location.
When you sign-up for an account, you enter your credit card number. Then all charges are done through the app, no money ever changes hands. But you can tip the driver in cash if you want!
Sometimes Uber is more expensive than a regular taxi (especially during busy periods), but often it’s cheaper.
I’ve had good experiences with Uber so far. The drivers have been friendly and the price was the same (or cheaper) than a taxi. And I love how convenient it is to order a ride from your phone!
6 Ways You Can Save on Your Next Uber Ride!
1. $20 Off Your 1st Ride (New Users Only)
If you haven’t tried Uber yet, you can get a $20 credit towards your 1st ride when you sign-up with Emily’s link.
2. AMEX Membership Rewards
You can save money by redeeming your AMEX Membership Rewards points on Uber at a rate of 1 cent per point. So 2,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points is worth a $20 Uber ride.
That said, you can get much more value than 1 cent per point when you transfer your AMEX Membership Rewards points to travel partners like Singapore Airlines.
3. Save 20% With Capital One
This deal is good for new and existing Uber users. Plus, you’ll earn 1.5% cash back on all purchases with the Capital One Quicksilver cards for a total of 21.5% in savings on Uber.
4. Up to 4 Starwood Points per $1 Spent
You can earn as many as 4 Starwood hotel points per $1 spent (up to $10,000 per year) on Uber.
You’ll get 1 Starwood point per $1 spent on Uber when you’ve made at least 1 eligible stay at a Starwood hotel in a calendar year.
And when you use Uber while you’re staying at a Starwood hotel, you can earn up to 3 Starwood points per $1 spent depending on your Starwood status:
- 1 bonus Starwood point per $1 spent on Uber for Starwood Preferred Guest members
- 2 bonus Starwood points per $1 spent on Uber for Starwood Gold or Platinum (with less than 75 eligible nights in the current year) members
- 3 bonus Starwood points per $1 spent on Uber for Starwood Platinum (with 75 or more eligible nights in the current year) members
Starwood hotels include:
5. Get Up to 50% off With UberPOOL
Link: More Details on UberPOOL
Link: UberPOOL FAQ Page
Save up to 50% on Uber by sharing your ride with someone who’s traveling in the same direction. This service is currently available in Los Angeles, New York, Paris, and San Francisco. When you select UberPOOL through the app, you’ll automatically be matched with another rider.
You’re only eligible for UberPOOL if you’re traveling with 1 other person. Larger groups are NOT eligible.
6. Pay With the Right Card & Earn Rewards Points
You can also earn airline miles, hotel points, flexible points, and cash back when you use Uber. This will save you money on future expenses.
Here are a few ways you can earn bonus points when you use Uber:
- AMEX Membership Rewards – 2X AMEX Membership Rewards points with Uber with certain AMEX Membership Rewards card
- Chase Sapphire Preferred – 2X Chase Ultimate Rewards points on travel, including Uber
- Starwood Preferred Guest – 1 Starwood point per $1 spent (up to $10,000 per year) on Uber when you’ve made 1 qualifying stay at Starwood hotels this calendar year. And up to 3 additional Starwood points per $1 when you’re also staying at a Starwood hotel. Be sure your Uber and Starwood accounts are linked.
- Citi ThankYou Premier – 3 Citi ThankYou points per $1 spent on travel, including Uber
Uber is a car service that makes getting around in a new city easy. Folks who want to give Uber a try can save $20 on their 1st ride when they sign-up with Emily’s link.
Remember to pay with a card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred that earns bonus points with Uber, to save money on future travel!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 20,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!