Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: Because of high demand, Southwest is having technical issues with their website. So they’ve extended the sale until Friday, June 5, 2015.
Planning on taking a vacation within the US?
You might be able to save money or points with Southwest’s latest sale! One-way flights are priced at $49, $99, $129, and $149.
Note: Like previous Southwest sales, travel on Fridays and Sundays is excluded, so you won’t save on a quick weekend getaway! Plus, most fares are higher than $49!
Find out all the details!
What’s the Deal?
Link: Southwest Fare Sale
You can book 1-way flights for a little as $49, with Southwest’s latest sale. Although most fares are higher.
Book by June 4, 2015, at 11:59 pm (in the time zone of the city you’re traveling from).
This deal is good for travel from August 25, 2015, to December 16, 2015, (excluding Fridays, Sundays, and other blackout dates).
For example, you can fly from San Francisco to San Diego for ~$49 each way.
The cheapest flight I could find elsewhere for the same trip was on United Airlines.
So this is a great deal, if you can find flights that work for you!
And other airlines might start matching fares.
With Southwest, when paid flights are cheaper, award flights are cheaper too!
The Fine Print
Fridays and Sundays are excluded.
And there are blackout dates, which include:
- September 3, 2015, to September 5, 2015
- September 7, 2015
- November 20, 2015, to December 1, 2015
Also, travel to or from Florida and Nevada is limited to Tuesdays and Wednesdays. And sale flights to and from San Juan, Puerto Rico, are only Mondays through Thursdays.
The Perks of Flying Southwest
In addition to the savings, there are lots of other benefits to flying Southwest including:
- Cancel Without Penalty – You can always book now and cancel later. On award flights the points and taxes will be refunded. And if you book a paid flight, as long as you cancel within 10 minutes before your flight, you’ll get a credit towards another Southwest flight (good for 1 year)
- Change Without Fees – If your plans change, you can make adjustments to your flight for free. However, if your new flight costs more, you’ll have to pay the difference.
- 2 Checked Bags for Free – Every passenger gets 2 free checked bags. This saves you ~$25 per bag.
- Bring Someone Along for the Ride for Free – With the Southwest Companion Pass, a friend or family member flies with you for free for up to 2 years! This is an amazing deal and it’s the reason why Emily and I fly Southwest almost exclusively on domestic flights. You can earn the Companion Pass in 8 easy steps!
Need More Southwest Points?
Award flights with this sale can cost just 2,273 Southwest points each way. If you don’t have enough points, there’s lots of ways to earn them!
You can currently get 50,000 Southwest points with all 3 Chase Southwest cards when you complete the minimum spending:
- Chase Southwest Premier (Personal)
- Chase Southwest Premier (Business)
- Chase Southwest Plus (Personal)
This makes it easier to earn more points for award flights and the Southwest Companion Pass!
Plus, you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to Southwest instantly.
Southwest has 1-way fares on sale for as low as $49. To get in on this deal, book by June 4, 2015, (Thursday) at 11:59 pm in the time zone you’re flying from. And travel from August 25, 2015, to December 16, 2015.
However, most flights are more than $49 and travel on Fridays and Sundays are excluded. Plus, there are blackout dates.
But this is a great deal, if you can find flights that work for you! And this deal gets even better with the Southwest Companion Pass because your favorite person can fly with you for free!