Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, Citibank and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
I get a lot of questions on British Airways Avios points, and started a series on how to use British Airways Avios points 2 years ago and finally finished writing it.
Book British Airways Award Flights Like a Pro:
- Part 1 – Love it or Hate it: An Introduction to British Airways Avios Points
- Part 2 – What Does a Distance Based Award Chart Mean?
- Part 3 – Taxes and Fees
- Part 4 – What Else Can I do with British Airways Avios Points?
- Part 5 – Using British Airways Avios Points to Upgrade Paid Tickets
- Part 6 – Using Cash and Points
- Part 7 – Household Accounts
- Part 8 – The British Airways Companion Pass
- Part 9 – How to Find Award Availability
- Part 10 – The Best International Awards Using British Airways Avios Points
- Part 11 – The Best Domestic Awards Using British Airways Avios Points
- Part 12 – The Best Short Distance Awards Using British Airways Avios Points
The British Airways Travel Together Ticket
The Travel Together Ticket is valid for 2 years after you earn it, but can only be used once. You can earn 1 Travel Together Ticket a year and can only use it on British Airways flights. So you can NOT use a Travel Together ticket for flights on partners like American Airlines.
TIP: If you plan on earning a Travel Together Ticket for future use, you should complete the $30,000 spending requirement as late in the year as possible (preferably in December). This way, your Travel Together Ticket will expire later.
You only pay the British Airways Avios price for 1 person, but you have to pay the taxes, fees, and fuel surcharges for the 2nd passenger.
For example, a round-trip Business Class award ticket for 1 person from New York to Rome, Italy, via London would cost 110,000 British Airways Avios points + $1,031 in taxes and fees. With a Travel Together Ticket, 2 people can travel roundtrip for 110,000 British Airways Avios points + $2,062 in taxes and fees (each person has to pay fees).
Considering the usual cost of Business Class tickets, this can be a good deal for some folks. However, even with a Travel Together Ticket, coach awards are generally NOT a good deal.
Other important conditions of the Travel Together Ticket include:
- Travel must begin and end in the United States (you can NOT originate in Brazil to avoid fuel surcharges)
- You can have an open-jaw on both ends of the ticket (you can book a ticket from Chicago to London and return from Madrid, Spain, to Houston, but all flights must be on British Airways)
- Companion must travel on the same flight and in the same class
- You have to book your departure flight before the Travel Together Ticket expires; however, you CAN book your return flight after the expiration date
You can earn a Travel Together Ticket after spending $30,000 in a calendar year on the Chase British Airways card.
The Travel Together Ticket lets you bring a companion with you on a British Airways flight award flight. You pay the British Airways Avios points price for yourself and the taxes, fees, and fuel surcharges for yourself and your companion.
This could be a good deal for some folks for Business Class award flights. You and a companion could get a round-trip Business Class flight from New York to Rome, Italy, for 110,000 British Airways Avios points + $2,062 in taxes and fees.
Using the Travel Together Ticket is NOT a good deal on coach award tickets.
Stay tuned for Book British Airways Flights Like a Pro: Part 9 – How to Find Award Availability.