Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Starting January 1, 2015, IHG hotels is running another bonus points promotion called Set Your Sights.
This is similar to promotions IHG has had before, like Into the Nights. You could earn up to 50,000 bonus points (or more!) for stays between January 1, 2015, and April 30, 2015.
After you register, you’ll get a list of personalized “tasks” which earn you bonus points.
You can sign-up for the Set Your Sights promotion now, but do NOT start completing the tasks until the New Year. That’s because Into the Nights (the previous promotion) runs until December 31, 2014.
Let’s see if it’s worth signing-up for IHG’s Set Your Sights promotion!
What’s the Deal?
Link: IHG Set Your Sights
By completing these offers, you’ll earn bonus points which can be used at any IHG hotel. You’ll get the maximum number of points by completing all of the tasks.
Depending on your elite status level and how frequently you’ve stayed at IHG hotels, the tasks can be as easy as downloading the IHG app and staying a few nights.
Or you might have to stay 10 nights or more!
Note: Award nights and paid stays booked through 3rd party sites (like TravelPony) are not eligible for the promotion.
What Kinds of Offers Are Available?
1. New Member, Non-Elite, No Paid Stays
Here’s a list of tasks for a non-elite, new (~2 months old) IHG member.
In this case, you could complete the tasks in just 2 stays:
- 1 – Download the IHG app
- 2 – Book 2 stays on the IHG app or website
- 3 – Stay 2 nights at a Holiday Inn over the weekend
- 4 – Stay 1 night at a different Holiday Inn any day
- 5 – Earn a bonus by staying 3 total nights (from above)
2. Long-Time Member, Platinum Elite, No Paid Stays This Year
This total offer is for 75,000 IHG points. But check out the number of nights!
You could complete this offer by:
- 1 – Downloading the IHG app and booking 10 stays
- 2 – Staying 10 nights at IHG hotels (included in above)
- 3 – Booking 6 weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)
- 4 – Booking bonus packages (breakfast included, etc.) for the weekend stays
Because the weekend stays have to be 2 nights each, you’d have to book a total of 12 weekend nights. And you’d need another 4 stays (or 4 separate nights) to meet the 10 stays booked through the app requirement.
So you could complete this offer with a minimum of 16 nights. That’s a lot of paid nights! This offer doesn’t seem practical unless you have a lot of paid weekend stays coming up at IHG hotels anyway.
3. Long-Time Member, Platinum Elite, Paid Stays This Year
Here are the offers for a member who had paid stays this year and has Platinum Elite status. Note that 6 of the 7 tasks must be completed to get the full bonus.
To complete this list of tasks, you could:
- 1 – Stay 10 nights at IHG hotels
- 2 – Book at least 4 stays through the IHG app
- 3 – Stay 2 weekends (Saturday plus 1 other night) for a total of 4 nights (included in the 10 night requirement)
- 4 – Make at least 1 night a bonus package stay
- 5 – Book at least 1 stay with the Chase IHG Rewards credit card
In this case, you could complete the offer by staying 10 nights total, as long as you plan it correctly!
Is It Worth It?
It’s absolutely worth it to register for the promotion, because it doesn’t cost anything. Especially if you know you’ll have paid IHG stays next year.
Depending on your list of offers, it could be very easy to complete some of the tasks (downloading and booking through the app, or paying with the Chase IHG credit card for example).
But for folks who don’t have plans to stay at IHG hotels in 2015, it’s probably NOT worth changing plans or doing a mattress run to complete the offers, especially if your list is long!
That said, 50,000 IHG points could get you a lot of Big Travel with Small Money. For example, that’s enough for a night in an overwater bungalow at the InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa!
So it really depends on your travel plans and if your list of offers is simple or
ridiculous challenging. 🙂
You could earn 50,000 bonus points (or more) with IHG’s new Set Your Sights promotion and staying between January 1, 2015, and April 30, 2015. You can sign-up starting today.
Register your account to view your personalized offers. It’s worth signing-up for the promotion anyway, even if you don’t have plans for paid stays at IHG hotels.
Depending on your list of tasks, you could earn a lot of bonus points. But for some folks it might not be worth it.
What offers did you get? Please share in the comments!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 16,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!