Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Are you planning a ski trip or an escape to the tropics in the New Year? If so, you could get away for fewer miles!
United Airlines is having a sale on award tickets to certain US cities, plus Hawaii, Canada, and Mexico. You’ll save 20% off the usual number of miles required for a saver level coach class award ticket. But you have to book by December 30, 2014.
There are also discounts on United Airlines Business Class partner award tickets to Europe, India, and Central Asia. But that deal might not last long!
There are a few restrictions on the 20% off sale. I’ll explain!
What’s the Deal?
You’ll need 20% fewer miles for round-trip, coach class saver award tickets between the US and Canada, Mexico, and Hawaii, plus the following US cities:
- Fort Lauderdale
- Fort Myers
- Jackson Hole
- Mammoth Lakes
- Montrose / Telluride
- Salt Lake City
- San Diego
- Santa Barbara
- Sun Valley
- West Palm Beach
- Yampa Valley
Book by December 30, 2014, for travel between January 12, 2015, and February 12, 2015.
With the 20% discount, here’s what you’ll need for a round-trip coach class ticket:
- Between the US and included US cities – 20,000 miles (normally 25,000 miles)
- Between the US and Canada – 20,000 miles (normally 25,000 miles)
- Between the US and Mexico – 28,000 miles (normally 35,000 miles)
- Between the US Mainland and Hawaii – 36,000 miles (normally 45,000 miles)
The discount applies only to United Airlines and United Express flights (not partner airlines). And there are a few other restrictions:
- You’ll pay a $75 fee for tickets booked less than 21 days in advance (unless you have elite status, in which case the fee is reduced or waived). But you may be able to get the fee waived!
- Only coach class, saver award tickets are eligible for the discount
- The sale is for round-trip tickets, but open jaws are allowed (for example, you could fly to Miami and return from Fort Myers)
- Stopovers are NOT permitted
- You can combine a discounted saver award ticket 1-way, and a standard award on the return (or vice versa)
I checked the United Airlines website and there are still lots of award seats available, for example between New York and Honolulu.
You’d pay 18,000 miles and ~$6 each way for a round-trip ticket to Hawaii.
That’s not a bad deal from the East coast!
But remember, folks on the West coast can get to Hawaii for 25,000 miles round-trip when they use British Airways Avios to book award flights on American Airlines, US Airways, or Alaska Airlines.
Europe Partner Award Flights Discounted Too!
Via One Mile at a Time, United Airlines also has discounts on Business Class partner award tickets between the US and Europe, India, and Central Asia.
Normally, United Airlines charges more points for partner award tickets than for their own flights. But for January, February, and March, they’re charging the lower price for both United Airlines and partner awards!
So instead of paying 70,000 United Airlines miles 1-way (140,000 miles round-trip) in Business Class to Europe on a Star Alliance partner (like Lufthansa or Air Canada), you’ll pay 57,500 miles 1-way (115,000 miles round-trip).
And to India and Central Asia, you’ll pay 70,000 miles 1-way (140,000 miles round-trip), instead of the usual 80,000 miles 1-way (160,000 miles round-trip).
That’s a great savings if you want to book a Business Class ticket this winter! But I’m not sure how long the deal will last.
You can save 20% on round-trip, coach class saver award tickets to certain US cities, Canada, Mexico, and Hawaii this winter with United Airlines’ award seat sale. Book by December 30, 2014, to get the discount.
Round-trip, you’ll pay 20,000 miles within the US or to Canada, 28,000 miles to Mexico, and 36,000 miles to Hawaii, plus taxes and fees.
Many of the included US cities are ski or sun destinations, so this could be great for folks looking for a winter getaway!
And if you’re planning a trip to Europe, India, or Central Asia using United Airlines miles, you can get a discount on Business Class partner award tickets. I’d book soon, because I’m not sure how long this will last!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 16,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!