Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Southwest will begin flying to Costa Rica March 7, 2015! This is especially great news for folks with the Southwest Companion Pass. Because the Companion Pass allows you to bring a companion on your flights for nearly free!
The Southwest Companion Pass is the best deal for domestic travel and it’s becoming 1 of the best deals for international travel to destinations just south of the US like Mexico. I’ll explain!
Visit Costa Rica and 5 Other Countries With Southwest
Link: Southwest Credit Cards
Link: Chase Sapphire Preferred
Link: Chase Ink Plus
Link: Chase Ink Bold
Southwest will make daily round-trip flights between Baltimore Airport (BWI) and to San Jose, Costa Rica to Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO). Flights begin March 7, 2015.
I excitedly checked the Southwest website to see if I could book a flight, but Costa Rica isn’t in their system yet. They’ll be sold when the Department of Transportation gives their official stamp of approval.
Emily and I love our Southwest Companion Pass because she can fly with me to any Southwest destination for nearly free! We’ve mainly flown Southwest to visit family and friends in the US. But now we’re tempted to take more trips south!
- Costa Rica (flights to San Juan begin March 7, 2015)
- Dominican Republic (flights to Punta Cana begin November 2, 2014 pending approval)
- Mexico (Cancun, San Jose del Cabo/Los Cabos. Flights to Mexico City begin November 2, 2014)
What If You Don’t Live Near Washington, DC?
You should be able to book connecting flights to Baltimore (BWI). But if you can’t you have other options.
- Use your Southwest Companion Pass to fly
- Book short award flights on American Airlines using British Airways Avios points
- Ride Amtrak (if you’re in the North East)
- Ride Megabus, Greyhound, etc.
Folks in other parts of the country may consider using their Southwest Companion Pass to get to Costa Rica or using British Airways points to get to the Washington, DC, area.
You can get Southwest points with the Chase Southwest credit cards. I suggest waiting until the cards offer a 50,000 point sign-up bonus.
Southwest will begin flying to Costa Rica on March 7, 2015, with direct flights from Baltimore (BWI). Costa Rica will be the 6th country outside of the US you can travel with Southwest.
This is exciting news because the Southwest Companion Pass allows you to bring a companion on your flights for nearly free!
Read more about how to earn the Southwest Companion Pass to get Big Travel with Small Money in the US, Mexico, Caribbean, and Central America!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 16,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!