Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, Citi, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Emily Jablon: Daraius and I went to Maui, Hawaii in March 2013. We loved Hawaii so much that we decided to return, but this time to Kauai. Kauai is more laid back and less built-up than Maui.
We went to Kauai over Valentine’s Day week, which made for a very romantic getaway. Using our miles and points made it even better!
Winter Getaway to Kauai – Trip Report Index:
- Part 1 – Using Miles and Points to Get to Kauai
- Part 2 – Only $10 for 2 One-Way United Flights From Austin to Kauai
- Part 3 – Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
- Part 4 – Grand Hyatt Garden Suite for 87% Off
- Part 5 – 3 Free Nights & a Partial Ocean View Upgrade at the Grand Hyatt Kauai
- Part 6 – Activities in Kauai
- Part 7 – Adopting a Little Girl
- Part 8 – The Many Pools of the Grand Hyatt Kauai and more…
- Part 9 – Southside Eats
- Part 10 – More South Kauai Eats!
- Part 11 – Shave Ice Bigger Than Your Face and More Yummy Meals!
- Part 12 – Flight From Kauai to Austin
- Part 13 – Conclusion and Blog Giveaway
Eating In and Around the Grand Hyatt, Kauai
We listed the restaurants by location:
South Kauai Restaurants (Near the Grand Hyatt, Kauai)
- Grand Club Breakfast Lounge
- Ilima Terrace, the casual dining restaurant at the Grand Hyatt Kauai
- Puka Dogs
- Kalapaki Beach Hut
- Josselin’s Tapas
- Savage Shrimp
- Living Foods Market
- Brick Oven Pizza
- Craving Thai
- Sueoka’s Snack Shop
- Koloa Mill
- Papalani Gelato
East Kauai Restaurants
West Kauai Restaurants
North Kauai Restaurants
This post is the continuation of South Kauai restaurants.
Brick Oven Pizza
This is a full service restaurant and bar. They have a large menu with more than just pizza.
According to Chowhound, their pizzas were supposed to be some of the best on the island.
I ordered the buffet, which came with salad, soup, buffalo and BBQ chicken wings, spaghetti, another pasta, and garlic bread.
The buffet also included 4 to 5 types of fresh pizzas and dessert pizza.
I had a Blue Moon to drink. Usually, I don’t drink beer, but it was refreshing after a hot day on the beach.
Daraius got the Hawaiian BBQ chicken pizza and a Coke.
I thought his pizza was too bland. But I loved my wings, spaghetti, and pizzas. Each pizza was served fresh. And the servers did a great job restocking the buffet. The buffet cost $15.
I liked that I could try a variety of foods. This was my 2nd favorite meal in Kauai!
Sueoka’s Snack Shop
Daraius wanted Hawaiian food from Sueoka’s Snack Market.
The most expensive dish was $6.50, making it one of the cheapest places to eat in Kauai.
They also had other cheap snacks.
Daraius got spareribs and chicken.
There are no seats at Sueoka’s Snack Shop (take away only), so he joined me at Craving Thai, where I wanted to eat.
In the mood for some light, healthy food, I decided to try the Craving Thai food truck.
It’s located next to Chalupa’s Mexican food truck.
Here’s Chapula’s menu.
And here’s Craving Thai’s menu.
I ordered the crispy spring rolls.
After eating at Sueoka’s Snack Shop and Craving Thai, Daraius and I went to Koloa Mills for ice cream and shaved ice.
They had a lot of shaved ice flavors, but everything was artificially flavored.
Daraius decided to try a grape shaved ice. Koloa Mills also had a large selection of ice cream, which is what I got.
We used a coupon we had found in a free magazine we saw laying outside of shops and restaurants.
Every little bit helps!
There is a big selection of gelato and sorbetto.
They also have chocolates.
There was a freezer of ice cream frozen treats.
I LOVE ice cream sandwiches, so my decision was made. The salted caramel ice cream, chocolate chip cookie sandwich was delicious!
Prices can be expensive here. At other ice cream and shaved ice shops, we order the kid or smallest size and share to save money.
Because we stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kauai, we spent a lot of time eating in South Kauai.
My 2nd favorite meal in Kauai was at Brick Oven Pizza.
I was pleasantly surprised by my food truck experience. Where have you eaten at food trucks?
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 16,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in an RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another trip report!