Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: The 60,000 point offer has expired.
Reader Blake A commented that Navy Federal Credit Union has a 60,000 point offer on their Visa Signature Flagship Rewards card.
$600 in air travel from just 1 card – which is not issued the big banks like Chase or American Express – is quite a good deal!
Note that you have to affiliated to the military (contractor, national guard etc.) or have family in the military to qualify.
Navy Federal Credit Union Visa Signature Card
You get 60,000 points after spending $3,000 in the first 90 days. 60,000 points is enough for up to a $600 ticket!
The $49 annual fee is waived for the first year.
You’ll earn 2 points for every $1 you spend. There is no limit to the amount of points you can earn and Navy Federal says that your points never expire.
I suspect what they mean is that just like with Ultimate Rewards points, your points never expire unless you close your account without using your points.
$600 In Flights
- 15,000 points = $150 round-trip airline ticket
- 30,000 points = $300 round-trip airline ticket
- 50,000 points = $500 round-trip airline ticket
- 60,000 points = $600 round-trip airline ticket
You’d have to spend $15,000 just to earn a $300 ticket so this is like getting 2% cash back towards air travel.
You also get more flexibility when booking a ticket, since you could book almost any ticket as long as you had points to cover the cost of the tickets. And you’d earn miles for flying on that ticket as well!
There are different redemption values for merchandise & cash back. You only get a 1% to 1.5% value when redeeming for cash back, instead of 2% for air travel.
You can redeem your points for cash:
- 20,000 points gets you $100 cash back (1% cash back)
- 30,000 points gets you $150 cash back (1% cash back)
- 40,000 points gets you $250 cash back (1.25% cash back)
- 60,000 points gets you $450 cash back (1.5% cash back)
You can also redeem your points for gift cards or merchandise online or by calling 888-842-6328, Monday through Saturday, from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, and on Sundays from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm, Eastern time.
Navy Federal Credit Union Membership
The Navy Federal Credit Union was established for those in the military, but membership also extends to lots of other folks such as civilian contractors and family members.
So you could qualify for Navy Federal Credit membership even if you aren’t in the military.
Navy Federal Credit Union membership is open to the following individuals:
- Active Duty Military including retirees and annuitants
- United States Coast Guard personnel including retirees
- Department of Defense Reservists
- Army and Air National Guard Personnel including civilians, retirees and annuitants
- Delayed Entry Program (DEP) Personnel
- Department of Defense (DoD) Officer Candidate programs
- U.S. Government employees and Department of Defense (DoD) contractors assigned to DoD installations
- Department of Defense (DoD) civilian employees, retirees and annuitants
- Family Members — including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members
Navy Federal says that
Once your family members have joined, their family members are also eligible for membership.
The “Family Members” section is so broad that it seems that almost everyone in the US could qualify for membership if they wanted!
60,000 points from the Navy Federal Credit Union Visa is enough for a $600 airline ticket, which is a very good deal from just 1 card!
You may be able to join the Navy Federal Credit Union Visa even if you aren’t in the military, but have someone in your family who is in the military.
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 14,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in a RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another credit card offer!