Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express is a Million Mile Secrets advertising partner. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
IHG Rewards (formerly Priority Club) is offering a tailored promotion, “The Big Win,” which allows members to earn 50,000 points or more through December 31, 2013.
This isn’t a particularly lucrative promotion because you have to complete lots of different tasks to get the big bonus. But it doesn’t hurt if you already had hotel stays planned at IHG Rewards hotels.
You have to register for the promotion.
The promotion is customized to individual members, so the number of points which you can potentially earn will vary. Regardless of your offer, you earn at least 1,000 points when you stay at any IHG hotel:
Here’s what a non-elite member was offered:
- 1,000 Points – “Try one and done” – Stay at any IHG hotel
- 2,000 Points – “Book with us” – Book 2 separate stays
- 4,000 Points – “Stay more & earn more” – Stay 4 nights at IHG hotels
- 8,000 Points – “Win in a weekend” – Stay 2 Saturday Nights
- 10,000 Points – “Explore our brands” – Stay at 3 different IHG hotels
- 25,000 Points – “Win big” – Complete all of your personalized offers
So 50,000 points is the maximum number of points that you’d earn if you completed all the tasks to earn the 25,000 point bonus.
In addition, you can choose to earn airline miles instead, at a rate of 500 miles for every 10,000 IHG points.
You may get a better offer if you have IHG Rewards elite status, and you get IHG Reward’s top-tier Platinum status if you have the IHG Rewards credit card.
Putting the Points to Use
Priority Club points can be transferred to a number of different airlines at a 1:5 ratio. This is not a good deal and is an expensive way to earn miles.
Using the points for hotel stays, though, can be a good value. Here’s IHG Reward’s award chart which start as low as 5,000 points for a PointsBreak award. and cost 50,000 points for a top-end InterContinental hotel.
Terms & Conditions
You will earn points for eligible stays completed between September 1, 2013 and December 31, 2013. You have to register for the promotion before you complete any stays. The full Terms & Conditions are found here.
IHG Rewards’ “The Big Win” can be useful if you have hotel stays planned and can switch them to IHG Rewards hotels to take advantage of their “Big Win” promotion.
If you do not have any stays planned, it doesn’t seem worth it to “mattress run” i.e. check-in and check-out of a cheap IHG Rewards hotel just for the points.
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 10,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in a RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!