Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Chase, and Citi are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
1. Avianca LifeMiles 100% Purchase Bonus
Via View from the Wing, Avianca is selling LifeMiles at a 100% bonus up to April 30, 2013. This works out to ~1.5 cents per mile. Avianca is a Colombian airline, but is a Star Alliance member, so you can use Avianca miles to fly on other Star Alliance airlines such as United, Lufthansa etc.
The most miles that can be purchased in one transaction is 75,000 and their Terms & Conditions explicitly state that you must have been a LifeMiles member by April 8, 2013. So sign-up now for a LifeMiles account so that you can take part in the next promotion (likely in a few months).
This may be a good choice if you want a Star Alliance award because you can book (some) flights on-line and are not blocked from Lufthansa First Class like you would be with US Airways (the other airline which frequently sells miles).
And as One Mile at a Time reports, if you have 40% of the miles required for an award, you can essentially use a cash and miles option, with the miles being purchased at a rate of 1.37 cents each.
But the Avianca frequent flyer program has its shortcomings.
The biggest drawback to me is that Avianca does not allow mixed cabin awards. So, if you find award availability in Business Class on one segment, it cannot be combined with Economy on other segments (even though you don’t mind flying in economy). So you’d have to book another flight back home!
This means that if your home airport is served by a regional jet with only economy seats, you won’t be able to book a seat on it if you’ve used Avianca miles to book a business class award!
In addition, they do not allow a connection of more than 12 hours (most airlines allow you up to 24 hours for connections), and have less-than-ideal customer service when it comes to making reservation changes.
2. Earn Double Points on Hertz Rentals for $13.49/Day!
Deals We Like reports that Hertz is offering a double take – rates from $13.49 per day and Double Hertz Rewards points. To be eligible, first register here, then follow her tips for getting a great deal on a Hertz rental.
Through this offer, you will receive double points on rentals through June 22, 2013, starting with your second rental booking.
3. Save 50% on Flying Blue Award Redemptions
Eligible North American departure cities include:
- Air France – Detroit, New York (JFK) and Toronto through April 30, 2013. And Montreal through June 30, 2013.
- KLM – Washington DC through April 30, 2013.
Also Chicago, Dallas, and New York (JFK) through June 30, 2013.
- Air Europa – New York (JFK) through June 15, 2013.
Economy Class, Premium Economy, and Business Class availability may vary. See the Flying Blue Promo Awards page for more details.
Remember that fuel surcharges and ticketing fees on Flying Blue award redemptions can easily add up to $400 to $500. Still, half price award tickets in business class could be a good value. Paying half the regular mileage price and taxes and fees is usually not a good value, but do the math for your specific situation.
You can transfer AMEX Membership Rewards points to Flying Blue instantly in a 1:1 ratio.
4. Air Canada Offering Bonus for Converting Points to Aeroplan Miles
Eligible loyalty programs for this bonus are listed below.
The bonus through this offer is between 20% and ~27%, dependent on the number of points transferred, as follows:
- Converting 5,000 Points – 1,000 Miles (20% Bonus)
- Converting 10,000 Points – 2,000 Miles (20% Bonus)
- Converting 20,000 Points – 4,000 Miles (20% Bonus)
- Converting 50,000 Points – 10,000 Miles (20% Bonus)
- Converting 100,000 Points – 25,000 Miles (25% Bonus)
- Converting 150,000 Points – 40,000 Miles (26.7% Bonus)
You get a higher bonus from transferring over 100,000 points.
Aeroplan charges fuel surcharges for many routes, so I wouldn’t transfer points unless you needed to top off for an award.
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 10,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in a RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update!