Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Capital One, Chase, Citibank and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by our partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
National Car Rental has last minute specials on their website.
In my experience, these aren’t usually lower than elsewhere (especially compared to the Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall or the Capital One travel portal), but it could save money sometimes – especially for weekend rentals (Thursday through Monday).
Cheap Car Rentals Series:
- Part 1 – Finding The MOST You Should Pay With Hotwire & Costco Travel
- Part 2 – Save Hundreds of Dollars by Using the Chase Ultimate Rewards or Citi Thank You Portal!
- Part 3 – Saving Money With the Capital One Travel Portal
- Part 4 – Southwest Airlines’ Car Rentals
- Part 5 – National Car Rental’s “Last Minute Specials”
- Part 6 – Priceline’s “Name Your Own Price”
- Part 7 – 5 Ways to Add an Additional Driver for Free
- Part 8 – Let Autoslash Do The Work
- Part 9 – American Airlines Car Rentals
- Part 10 – Why Everyone Should Sign Up For Frequent Car Rental Programs
- Part 11 – Save More With Car Rental Savers
- Part 12 – Do You Know How To Get The Lowest Price For Drivers Under 25 Years Old?
- Using Airlines Miles for Car Rentals
- Using Hertz Coupons & Discounts
- Using Airline Discount Codes & Earning Miles for Rentals
National Car Rental Last Minute Specials
Step 1 – Sign-up for National Emerald Club
I love National’s Emerald Club because you can choose from any car in the Emerald Aisle if you book at least a mid-size car. Here’s the link to sign-up for free Emerald Club membership.
You also save time at the airport, since you can go straight to the rental cars in the Emerald Aisle at the airport and don’t have to wait in line at the rental counter.
Step 2 – Last Minute Specials
The best deal with National is to search for a rental using their last minute specials which are updated every Tuesday on their website, sometimes up to 2 weeks in advance.
The last minute specials apply to weekend rentals from Thursday to Monday, and in fewer cases for weekly rentals.
Click on the tab which says “Specials”
Step 3 – Free Weekend Day or $25 off Weekly Rentals
In addition National Car Rental also offers 1 free weekend day, on a compact through full size, when you rent for 3 weekend days (including Saturday).
You can use the 1 free weekend day code #NFB2698MF– in combination with the Last Minute Specials above, but you have to manually enter the code to get the free weekend date.
The code expires every few months, but a new one is usually available on the National website.
Note that the terms say “May not be combined with other discounts,” but in my experience it is possible to combine the free weekend day code with the Last Minute Specials.
There is also usually a code for $25 off a weekly rental, which is useful if you find a weekly Last Minute Special.
It is worth checking out the National Last Minute Specials to see if you can get a lower price on a weekend rental.
However, the Last Minute Specials may not include your destination so it is best to have another reservation from elsewhere (which you can cancel for no cost) and then check National’s Last Minute Specials.