Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Bank of America, Barclaycard, Chase, Citi, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Get $25 back on your credit card statement when you use an American Express card at a small business this Saturday (November 26, 2011) and spend at least $25.
With over 500 comments on the original 2-browser trick post, I know lots of readers have got the Citi AAdvantage American Express cards, so don’t forget to register them together with your other American Express credit cards.
You can get the $25 credit once per American Express card, so don’t forget to register all your American Express credit cards to get the most amount of $25 statement credits.
I was going to use this at my favorite European grocery shop in town, but I realized that I’ll be visiting Emily’s family. I was salivating about the pounds of Spanish jamon (ham) which I was planning to buy!
Emily and I have 6 American Express cards which we registered:
- 2 Starwood American Express cards
- 2 Virgin Atlantic American Express cards
- 1 Citi AAdvantage American Express cards
- 1 American Express Business Gold Rewards cards
So that’s $150 (6 X $25) in free money this weekend!
American Express cards issued by other banks such as Citi or Bank of America
You can register cards issued by other banks, but carrying the American Express logo, such as the Citi AAdvantage American Express and Virgin Atlantic American Express for the $25 statement credit.
American Express Credit Cards issued by American Express
You can register your primary American Express card for the promotion, as well as additional cards!
That’s because American Express issues a separate credit card number for additional cardholders and folks reported getting the $25 credit for additional cardholders as well.
Where can you shop?
The terms define small businesses as:
Eligible small business merchants are independently owned small businesses located in the United States that accept the American Express Card. Purchases made at large or national chain stores, at franchised business locations and at government agencies are not eligible. Prepaid, Corporate Cards and ExpressPay transactions are not eligible.
The terms also say that the statement credit is issued in 5 business days, but may take 2 billing cycles to reflect on your account.
How to maximize the deal:
- Buy $25 gift cards, with separate American Express cards, for your favorite independent store or restaurant and use them later.
- Go to lunch or dinner and ask the server to split the check 5 ways (each above $25). Don’t forget to tip extra!
- Buy something you want and split the bill in $25 increments and pay for it with multiple cards
I can’t help but point out the irony of American Express trying to “help” small businesses by encouraging folks to shop at small businesses, when American Express is usually disliked (& not accepted) by many small businesses because of their higher fees!
American Express is giving you $25 to spend at a small business this Saturday! Don’t forget to register your card(s) before you go shopping!
What are you going to buy from a small business this Saturday?
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 2,000+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in a RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another update on credit cards.