Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Chase, and Citi are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Disclosure: I don’t get any commission or payment from Citibank or anyone else for this post or for the links in this post.
Update: You can’t get 2 personal American Airlines cards unless it is ~18+ months from when you were last approved for an American Airlines personal card.
But you could get 1 personal card and 1 business card.
Emily and I have earned over 1.5 million miles by applying for Citi AAdvantage credit cards which has let us have a lot of Big Travel with Small Money.
You can earn lots of American Airlines miles too!
You used to be able to earn 75,000 miles for each card by using the 2-browser trick which was one of my first blog posts. Lots of readers individually earned 150,000 or 225,000 American Airlines miles and together earned millions of AAdvantage miles by applying for these Citi AAdvantage cards.
This was my most popular post (508 comments and 60 Facebook likes) and I was very happy to read everyone’s success stories. Folks used their miles to visit terminally ill family members, plan honeymoons, and surprise their partners. Your wonderful stories kept me motivated to continue blogging!
Even though the Citi AAdvantage 75,000 mile credit cards are no longer working, there are still working links for 50,000 mile Citi AAdvantage cards.
So I’ve modified my earlier 2-browser trick post for the current offer below.
Note: The links below do NOT show you the terms of the offer on the application. But based on the comments and my personal experience, you do get the 50,000 miles if you’re approved for the card.
Citi American Airlines Bonus Miles Offer
- Citi American Airlines personal card with 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 within 4 months
- Citi American Airlines personal GOLD MasterCard with 30,000 miles after spending $750 within 4 months
- Citi American Airlines Business card 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 within 3 months
The current Citi AAdvantage offer is for 50,000 miles per card. If you get both the personal and business versions you will have enough miles for 4 roundtrip tickets within the US in economy class.
Or a one-way trip to Asia on Cathay Pacific in First Class (one of the world’s best airlines), or a return trip in Business Class to South America and still have some miles left over!
If you’ve never applied for a Citi AAdvantage Credit Card, you CAN get up to 130,000 AAdvantage miles, worth at least $1,300 if you conservatively value AA miles at 1 cent per mile.
If you don’t have an AAdvantage account, sign-up for one here, before you apply for the Citi AAdvantage Credit Cards.
Citi AAdvantage 50,000 Mile Bonus Offer – Existing Cardholder
Citi also generally lets you get the bonus again on personal AAdvantage cards 18 to 20+ months since your last application (regardless of whether you cancelled or still have a AAdvantage Visa or AMEX).
For example, if your last successful application and approval for AAdvantage cards was in January 2010 you should be able to reapply and get the sign on bonus again since it is more than 20 months since you were last approved for the personal Citi American Airlines card.
There are 3 Citi American Airlines cards which you can get. As discussed the general Citi rules apply which mean that you can’t get more than 2 cards within a 65 day period. And you have to wait at least 2 to 3 days in between the first and second card.
Citi AAdvantage 50,000 Mile Card Features
- 2 AAdvantage miles per $1 on AA travel. You earn 2 AAdvantage miles per $1 spent on American Airlines travel for the 1st year and 1 mile after that. This is better than the previous deals where you would earn only 1 mile per $ spent on American Airlines, but is below the standard for most airline loyalty cards which let you earn at least 2 miles per $ spent on air travel with the co-branded airline.
- 3% Foreign Exchange Fee. There is a 3% foreign transaction fee, so don’t use this overseas.
- 1st Year Annual Fee Waived. The $85 annual fee for the personal card and $75 fee for the business card is waived for the 1st year.
5 Tips to get the most AAdvantage miles through this offer:
2) However, you CANNOT apply for 2 cards simultaneously. If you do apply for all 2 cards at the same time, you will be denied the second card. But you can apply for a second (different card) after 2 or 3 days and get approved as long as you don’t have more than 2 applications within 65 days.
3) The 50,000 mile bonus is only for first time cardholders. One bonus for first time personal cardholders, and another bonus for first time business cards holders.
4) Here’s how to get all 3 cards and up to 130,000 AAdvantage miles:
Here’s how I would get all 3 cards over 65 to 95 days if it has been 18+ months from when you were last approved for a Citi American Airlines card or if you never had a Citi American Airlines card:
- Day 1: Apply for the Citi American Airlines personal card with 50,000 miles after spending $2,500 within 4 months
- Day 3 or 4: Apply for the Citi American Airlines personal GOLD MasterCard with 30,000 miles after spending $750 within 4 months. You may have to call in to get approved.
- Day 65 or later: Apply for the Citi American Airlines Business card with 50,000 miles after spending $2,500 within 4 months
- If you are concerned about completing the minimum spend, I’ve listed more than 40 ways to help complete the minimum spending requirements. You only have one chance at applying for both the cards together, so don’t let the minimum spending prevent you from applying for both cards at the same time.
- After 65 days apply for the Citi Business Card and earn another 50,000 miles after spending $2,500 within 4 months. If you apply earlier than 65 days your application will be automatically denied because Citibank likes to see 60+ days gap after a personal application and 90+ days after a business card application.
- Here is a later post on the 3 ways you may qualify for a business credit card, and tips on how to fill out a business credit card application form.
If you get a letter declining the second application, you could write a letter to the Citi Executive reconsideration department asking them to reconsider your application.
The 2 browser trick usually works, but understand that there are no guarantees and that your mileage may vary (YMMV)!
5) Wait for your card to arrive and confirm the minimum spend required to earn the 50,000 miles when you call to activate your card.
Oh, and the first year annual fee is waived on both the personal ($85) and the business card ($75) so you are getting these miles for free!
Bottom Line: This is an AWESOME deal and you should move quickly since there’s no guarantee how much longer these deals will last.
You can do a LOT with 130,000 AAdvantage miles – including 5 US domestic economy trips on American Airlines, or First Class flights on some of the world’s finest airlines such as Cathay Pacific, Jet Airways, and British Airways by redeeming through American Airlines for their One World Alliance partners.
* If you liked this post, why don’t you join the 1,500+ readers who have signed-up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 email per day!) or in a RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another credit card tip.