Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Barclaycard, Chase, and US Bank are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
IHG Hotels Friends and Family Rate
We all have a friend who wants us to save up to 30%, per night, over the regular advertised advance purchase rate, at InterContinental Hotel Group (IHG) hotels by using the IHG Hotels Friends and Family rate!
This is a great deal for your travel arsenal because IHG’s brands include Candlewood Suites, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hotel Indigo, Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts, and Staybridge Suites hotels!
The Friends & Family rate allows you to book a non-refundable IHG hotel for up to a 30% discount when compared to the regular advance purchase rate.
How The IHG Hotels Friends and Family Rate Works:
The IHG Friends & Family rate started in 2009 during the economic downturn, as a way to get more guests in hotels and has continuously been extended. I suspect that this rate will eventually be discontinued, but it is still currently available.
Print out the rate voucher.
Now even though it says that the voucher is required at check-in, and many people have not been asked for the rate voucher, some folks on FlyerTalk and MilePoint have been asked for their voucher. So just fill it up and bring it along with you!
The voucher doesn’t require an employee ID or signature!
It just asks for:
- The employees name (Steve Sickel in our example)
- Destination hotel
- Number of nights stay
- Arrival date
- Reservation confirmation number (You’ll get this after you make the hotel reservation in step 3)
Make your reservation by clicking on “Book Your Reservation Now”
It’s as easy as that!
If you do decide to make a IHG hotels Friends & Family rate reservation, do keep in mind that:
- You have to book at least 7 days in advance (some hotels may require a booking more than 7 days in advance or may not participate in the Friends & Family rate)
- The rate is Non-Refundable
- You won’t get Priority Club points or Stay Credit towards elite status
- Not all hotels will recognize your elite status on this rate, so you may want to check whether the hotel will extend elite benefits to you (if that is important to you). Personally, there are times when cash savings matter more to me than elite benefits! But as always, only you know what is more valuable to you.
- You should check the regular advance purchase rate in a separate browser window to ensure that the Friends & Family rate is indeed lower – it usually is!
Bottom Line: The Friends & Family rate is a great way to save money at an IHG hotel if you don’t care about earning points and getting stay credit and have the flexibility to plan ahead.
When would you use the IHG hotels Friend & Family Rate? Tell us about it in the comments below!
* If you liked this post, why don’t you sign-up to receive free blog posts in your email (only 1 email per day!) or in a RSS reader …because then you’ll never miss another way to learn about ways to get discounts at hotels!