Disclosure: We get a commission for links on the blog. You don’t have to use our links, but we’re very grateful when you do. American Express, Chase, and Citi are Million Mile Secrets advertising partners. Here’s our Advertiser Disclosure.
Update: As of October 10, 2011 the 75,000 mile offer is dead, BUT there is still a 50,000 mile version available.
AAdvantage 75,000 Mile Bonus Offer
Emily and I have earned over 1,200,000 AAdvantage miles by applying for Citi AAdvantage Credit Cards. That lets us have lots of Big Travel with Small Money!
We recently used 180,000 miles to fly First Class on American Airlines, British Airlines, and Jet Airways to London and Bombay. And so can you!
You may be wondering if this impacted our credit score.
No. It did NOT! Our credit score decreased by ~5 points with each application, which is a negligible decrease. Stay tuned for a later post where I explain how your credit score is calculated.
Sadly, Citibank no longer allows applications every 2 months and restricts the sign-on bonus to first time applicants.
However, in my experience, getting the Citibank AAdvantage credit cards is possible, but you have to wait for at least 18 months since the last successful approval to reapply.
Update: I recently was approved for 2 new Citi AAdvantage cards which is another 150,000 AA AAdvantage miles for me!
Reports on Flyertalk indicate approvals on AAdvantage cards around 18 months after your last successful AAdvantage card approval.
Be careful when you reapply, since Citi is very inconsistent in their approval process and you may get different results than mine!
AAdvantage 75,000 Mile Bonus Offer – First Time Applicants
The current Citi AAdvantage offer is for 75,000 miles per card. That’s enough for 3 roundtrip tickets within the US in economy class, or a one-way trip to Asia on Cathay Pacific in First Class (one of the world’s best airlines), or a return trip in Business Class to South America!
In tomorrow’s post, I’ll suggest ways to spend the AAdvantage miles earned. If you can’t wait until then, look at the AA Award Chart which is located in the “Airline Award Charts” sub-menu under the ” Mile & Point Resources” menu on the blog.
Where do you want to go?
If you’ve never applied for a Citibank AAdvantage Credit Card, you CAN get up to 225,000 AAdvantage miles, worth at least $2,250 if you conservatively value AA miles at 1 cent per mile.
If you don’t have an AAdvantage account, sign-up for one here, before you apply for the Citi AAdvantage Credit Cards.
There are 2 version of the same deal available, but I recommend the first version since the minimum amount of spending required to get the 75,000 miles is less.
1) 75,000 AAdvantage Miles after $1,500 is spent in first 6 months:
You have to spend only $1,500 per card within 6 months of applying in order to get the 75,000 AAdvantage miles.
You should know, however, that this offer has officially expired. However, the links are still working and many people have been approved for the deal. I got the Citi Business card through this link in February and I was approved for 2 new personal cards in July.
UPDATE: Blog reader Larry (Thanks, Larry!!) confirms receiving both personal Amex and Visa cards on May 31, 2011 and reminds us that the spend start date is the date you get approved for the card, NOT the date when you call to activate the card!
- 75,000 AAdvantage Bonus Miles – Visa Personal
- 75,000 AAdvantage Bonus Miles – Amex Personal
- 75,000 AAdvantage Bonus Miles – Visa Business
You will get 75,000 AAdvantage miles, in this version of the deal, after spending $4,000 within the first 6 months of applying.
If you feel uncomfortable applying for the above deal online, because the terms and conditions do not specify the 75,000 mile bonus –even though many folks on FlyerTalk have confirmed receiving the bonus and so has Emily — you may want to confirm the bonus when you call to activate your cards.
5 Tips to get the most AAdvantage miles through this offer:
1) Your goal should be to get all 3 cards (Personal Visa, Personal Amex, and Business Visa) for a total of 225,000 AAdvantage miles.
2) However, you CANNOT apply for both Personal cards (Visa and Amex) AND the Visa Business card simultaneously. If you do apply for all 3 cards at the same time, you will be denied the Business card and will have to wait 95 days to reapply.
3) The 75,000 mile bonus is only for first time cardholders. One bonus for first time personal cardholders, and another bonus for first time business cards holders.
So if you apply for the Personal Visa today and the Personal Amex tomorrow, you will be denied the bonus on the Personal Amex since you’re no longer a first-time cardholder. But the 2-browser trick described later on takes care of this problem!
4) Here’s how to get all 3 cards and 225,000 AAdvantage miles:
- Apply for the Citi Personal Visa ($1,500 spend requirement) and the Citi Personal Amex ($4,000 spend requirement) and on the same day by using the 2 browser trick below. You will earn 150,000 miles for these 2 cards.
- If you are concerned about completing the minimum spend, I’ve listed more than 40 ways to help complete the minimum spending requirements. You only have one chance at applying for both the cards together, so don’t let the minimum spending prevent you from applying for both cards at the same time.
- After 65 days apply for the Citi Business Card and earn another 75,000 miles. If you apply earlier than 65 days your application will be automatically denied because Citibank likes to see 60+ days gap after a personal application and 90+ days after a business card application.
- Here is a later post on the 3 ways you may qualify for a business credit card, and tips on how to fill out a business credit card application form.
5) The 2 Browser Trick:
- In order to get 2 bonuses for the AAdvantage personal credit cards, you have to submit 2 applications for the Citi Personal cards (1 Amex & 1 Visa) at the same time. If you submit the 2nd application the next day, you are considered an existing cardholder and will not get the new bonus.
So here’s what you do.
- In one browser, say Firefox, fill out the application for the Citi Personal Visa card for 75,000 miles. Don’t click on submit yet!
In another browser, say (Internet Explorer or Chrome) fill out the application for the Citi Personal Amex card for 75,000 miles. Don’t click on submit yet!
Hit submit on the first application and then switch to the other application and hit submit. If all goes well, you should get the sign-up bonus on both cards!
If you don’t have 2 different browsers, download another browser. If you want to use the same browser for both applications make sure to delete all the cookies in your browser and reopen the browser before submitting the 2nd application.
If you are not approved immediately, you may want to wait or either call the application status line (make 2 separate calls; one call for the visa card and one call for the Amex card) and confirm the terms of the offer. Don’t tell them that you applied for 2 cards!
The 2 browser trick usually works, but understand that there are no guarantees and that your mileage may vary (YMMV)!
6) Wait for your card to arrive and confirm the minimum spend required to earn the 75,000 miles when you call to activate your card.
Oh, and the first year annual fee is waived on both the personal ($85) and the business card ($75) so you are getting these miles for free!
Getting 150,000 AAdvantage miles for free and using the 2-browser trick gives me the same adrenalin rush back when I used to find loopholes as an auditor!
I don’t get any referral bonus or payback from Citibank for this post or for the links to the Citi AAdvantage credit cards. In the spirit of full disclosure, I do own negligible amounts of Citigroup stock.
The only benefit I receive from this post is the thrill in helping you earn lots of miles from a Fortune 14 bank for very little effort!
Bottom Line: This is an AWESOME deal and you should move quickly since there’s no guarantee how much longer these deals will last.
You can do a LOT with 225,000 AAdvantage miles – including 9 US domestic economy trips on American Airlines, or First Class flights on some of the worlds finest airlines such as Cathay Pacific, Jet Airways, and British Airways by redeeming through American Airlines for their One World Alliance partners.
Was this post helpful for you? Was it too long? I want to make this blog useful to you so please let me know in the comments or email me at daraius @ millionmilesecrets.com
- 6 Ways To Use 150,000 AAdvantage Miles
- 3 Ways You May Qualify For a Business Credit Card
- How To Fill Out a Business Credit Card Application
- 40+ Powerful Ways To Complete Your Credit Card Minimum Spending Requirements